wadkin PK restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, I went to the same beach today and kept my eyes peeled for the weavers. They are horrible looking fish, they look like something from the cretacious. They lie still and then flick their fins out which have spines on them. The sting feels like a stinging nettle but times hundred.
mark

wallace":2a0ky124 said:
Jim, I went to the same beach today and kept my eyes peeled for the weavers. They are horrible looking fish, they look like something from the cretacious. They lie still and then flick their fins out which have spines on them. The sting feels like a stinging nettle but times hundred.
mark

Mark, the worst bit is when you step on one!

DAMHIKT! :shock:

Have you had the misfortune to stand on one. Apparantly their more painfull than a box jelly fish and a ray. I'm pleased it only got my thumb.

Hi Mark... I haven't come back to this thread for some time as I have been busy. But what you are doing to that Wadkin is, I think, a rare thing. Somewhere between engineering and art there is a space that touches both. I know just a few who get it, and there are books about others who do or did. What you are doing here stands out... mighty bloody fine.

Very good thread, the sort of thing I would like to have a crack at. I've been looking out on ebay for a suitable candidate with no luck, then I went to an old school timber yard yesterday and found three old wadkins under a tarp, a tenoner, overhead router, and a massive surfacer. I did take some photos, I'll post them if anyone is interested.

Sorry, been busy at work, I will post pics shortly. I wouldn't know if they are any good or not, but I do know they could be for sale, but worth only scrap value I would of thought.

Between this thread and the recent acquisition of the Wadkin PL, I've been inspired to go back and refine the quadrant patterns I made for the PK. I've managed to reduce the amount of work it takes to go from a rough casting to a finished quadrant.

Here's a photo of the original pattern:

pk-rcq2.jpg

And here's the refined version:

New-pat-LR3.jpg

I've got a few more patterns to make and it'll be off to the foundry with these.

Arthur

I have no intention of making anything like this but would be very interested in the process of making these patterns and what is involved in getting them produced at a foundry.

Mick

I just signed up so I could congratulate you on this re-build! Magnificent machine.
When I left school I went to work in a timber yard (stantons timber, aka hunter timber). That old yard was full of Wadkin. We all got made redundant in the late 90's and the yard closed...I went off to college to further my skills in woodwork..
Now I'm a full time woodworker, I often wonder what happened to all those beautiful machines, and wish I could have a few of them :D
Great thread!
Cheers!

Sorry for the delay, 2.5 year daughter hid the camera usb.

I only have pic's of the surfacer, and tenoner, but there was also a pin router.

jonesbedandotherwork016.jpg

jonesbedandotherwork015.jpg

Looks like a lot of work to me.

I think its worth a shot if you don't need to spend too much on set up. How many hours did the PK take? Times that by about £30, add the initial cost of the machine and see what the figure is, could the machine achieve that value?

I think it took me about 250 hours, so at £30 an hr I dont think someone would pay £7500 for a saw :lol: Saying that I have never earned £30 an hr in my life :roll:

Latest posts

Back