wadkin PK restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have good news and bad Mark. I'm about to make several of those pins over the course of this weekend, and your welcome to one at no cost to yourself. The bad news is you'll have to cover postage which has the potential to be rather ridiculous, even for such a small item...lol. Let me know if you're interested.

Another option is to completely cut off that broken section, then drill and tap the remainder, and replace the broken bit with a regular bolt. Cut off the head and you're off to the races... The original owner of my PK cobbled together something like this on my saw. What happened to completely bust the original release for the silder I'll never know, and I really don't want to.

IMAG1241.jpg

As far as the angle iron extension.... I'd cut it off. It's very unlikely that it's perfectly aligned with the Wadkin piece, and if you feel that it may prove to useful, clamping a piece of flat bar to the quadrant like Wadkin intended would be fairly easy.

Untitled.png

Jarrett

wallace":1wjyjwkn said:
you must have a really big workshop to house your collection of iron

The shop is about 1200 SQ FT on the first floor. I also have a carriage house that's roughly the same size. The Whitney saws are stacked three high (not the sliders).
Here's a picture of the shop:

98.jpg

wallace":1wjyjwkn said:
The preset locating pin was bent so I thought I would take it to bits to straighten it. It didn't want to move with a punch so I heated it up and ended up snapping it...Does anyone have the facilities to make me a new one? Just the bit on the right

I need to make up three of those pins. It just might take me a while to get to it. Most of the parts can be bought from Mcmaster. It'll take some minor machine work to put it all together.

It's a real shame that the previous owner welded that angle iron to the quadrant. If that were mine, I'd carefully remove it and then reshape the end.

J. Vilbert":1wjyjwkn said:
Is you "theowwm" email address still active...?

Yes it is. I don't get to check it much. I'm working 13 hour days right now. I'll try to get to it this evening.

-Arthur

Thanks Jarret I will keep you in mind, I was thinking in bed last night as you do, that I could have ago at doing it in brass on my wood lathe. Arthur that is one handsome workshop.
Mark

8)
wallace":1ec3aqhn said:
I was thinking in bed last night as you do, that I could have ago at doing it in brass on my wood lathe.

A Wadkin fixing a Wadkin 8) .Don't you just love the RS Mark?
jack
English machines

The RS is more than serious enough to turn mild or even hardened steel. Personally, I'd suggest either one of those materials over the brass. There's different grades of brass, but generally speaking I would consider it too soft for a locating pin. It wouldn't take much use to deform a brass pin and throw off your miter from 90.

Jarrett

When I purchased my Wadkin PL slider, I received this small miter fence. This fits into the same slot as the regular rip fence on the main table.
I'd be interested in hearing some opinions on the intended use. Also, whether this was an option on the PK.

PL-Small-Miter-Fence-4.jpg

PL-Small-Miter-Fence-3.jpg

PL-Small-Miter-Fence-1.jpg

Wadkin-PL-Miter-Fence-Small-2.jpg

-Arthur

Arthur

Your PL is older than the PK. The PK being the first tilting spindle saw. The rare PJ double arbor(two blade rotating on a turret) belt driven Wadkin with the tilting top is its predecessor. Your's is a tilt top saw and gear driven. So as far a models goes PL came after the PJ and the PK and most likely was developed at the same time. The slider was on the PJ as was the tiling fence, so most likly your saw the PL was to cut aluminum and that is what that fence looks like it is for. It would not be the first time a woodworking firm has done/made a saw for this and at about a time of WW1 it would have be useful. What's the tag on the saw look like?is it Wadkin and Co? If its geared whats the RPM at the arbor?

here is the rare PJ
wadkinpj1.jpg

jack
English machines

wallace":2dy41ps2 said:
1dd.jpg

Does anyone have the facilities to make me a new one? Just the bit on the right

Have you sorted this yet? if not PM me. I would need dimensioned drawing or the original to copy.

tool613":3pxcgccs said:
What's the tag on the saw look like?is it Wadkin and Co? If its geared whats the RPM at the arbor?

Jack, I've got the old brass tag with the prop on it. It looks like the original motor was a C-Face. The motor on it now is hanging from a fabricated bracket. Not sure on the RPM (I doubt it would be right anyway). I probably wasn't clear on the fence. My PL came with the small fence above, a protractor and a tilting fence that is very similar to my PK(s). Here's a few pictures of it:

PL-Fence-2.jpg

PL-Fence-1.jpg

PL-Fence-3.jpg

-Arthur

Hi Arthur, that fence is the same as the pk's. What casting marks dose it have. Nearly everything cast has PK then a number in it. Sorry I dont know anything about the little fence you put on.
Mark

wallace":3a14b4gq said:
What casting marks dose it have. Nearly everything cast has PK then a number in it

Mark,
All the parts have "PJ" followed by a number. This would seem to indicate that the PL was in production at the same time as the PJ and possibly the PK. Jack, do you or Matty have any literature on the PL?

-Arthur

Did some work on the mitre fence today, whoever welded the angle iron on did a first rate job took me ages to get it off without damageing the surfaces.

b33.jpg

b44.jpg

Unfortunately got a bit carried away and prised the metal off takeing some of the cast fence with it.

b55.jpg

I then spent some time cleaning the casting marks up abit.

b88.jpg

The face came up quite well

b99.jpg

It has a little crack, so that will need welding

b77.jpg

Mark

I went to the beach a couple of days ago and found this fish flapping around at the waters edge, me being all nice decided to pick it up and put it back in the sea. Big mistake, it turned out to be a weever fish and it stabbed me with spine which was poisonous. Didn't half hurt

b22.jpg

Mark,
I'd say you did pretty good getting that weld job un-done. The weld appears not to have penetrated the cast iron too much. On the crack; I would weld that using some nickle or stainless wire. Not too much heat. I'm trying to figure out what the hole halfway between the arc and the left pin is for. Did they have any extra holes drilled in the table?

I once saw a turtle sitting in the middle of a busy roadway. I stopped to help it cross before it got run-over. As soon as I got within a few feet, it launched itself through the air and latched onto the knee of my carharts. I had a hell of a time shaking it off. No good deed goes unpunished.

I got the quadrant finished, with the very kind help of Jarret who made me a replacement pin.

finishedquad.jpg

finishedquad2.jpg

Arthur, that extra hole does not line up with anything on the table. So I dont know why it was done.
Mark

It was totally my pleasure to help out Mark... :D

I have apologize though.. I had no idea that the pin extended all the way through the cap...

Had I known I wouldn't have machined that flat edge as long as I did. I hope it still looks fine.

Just so everyone knows what I'm talking about... When I made the pin, I milled a flat edge on it so Mark could more easily mark and drill the hole needed for the retaining pin that fastens it to the cap.
IMAG1252.jpg

Jarret you can barely notice the flat section. I had to remove a little of the widest part where it goes into the quadrant, I put it in the pillar drill and gave it a sand. Its a very snug fit and with a bit lube works nicely. Everything lines up nicely on the table.
Mark

wallace":37wak78s said:
I had to remove a little of the widest part where it goes into the quadrant, I put it in the pillar drill and gave it a sand. Its a very snug fit and with a bit lube works nicely.

Excellent.... Like I said during our PMS. It's always better to have to remove a little then have to figure out how to add some.

Back