wadkin PK restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wallace":k6j3k129 said:
Heres a pic of the casting fault on the table, does anyone know what it is and how its done. Is it silver solder?

1c.jpg

Mark

Mark

what you have there is a nickle weld you may not have noticed but it does not rust. This type of weld is a stick/arc weld. How it would have be done was a Nickle rod(probably 99 rod AKA cast rod was used) was used to build up a void in the cast before any machining was done. A nickle weld is a good weld for cast and i have used it to repair broken casting. The problem with nickle weld is it can distort machine part if not carefully done. short 1" welds peened with a hammer while cooling is how it is done. I have some in the RM tables
patterntable003.jpg

this is my first try at cast welding. I used nickel 99 cast rod so I could work the welds after.

I could use more practice welding ,but I am not to proud to show you. every one starts at the beginning:)
looking for free tips from the pros?

I did a thread on cast repair thread while back that my be usefull.
http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91674&hilit

005-24.jpg

006-26.jpg

009-13.jpg

jack
English machine

I've got a pot of stainless steel powder filled epoxy of which I used a fraction for my kitchen worktops. It won't match the cast iron so closely but it isn't actually so shiny so it'll probably be a reasonable match. If you want to try it, PM me your address and I'll put a big blob in the post (even better if you have your own epoxy hardener)

I had to take kiddie shopping today so I only managed to get the fence put back together.

f6.jpg

f2.jpg

f5.jpg

I am nearly finished just a few odds and ends. I have to find somwhere to mount the big start/stop and brake box. Does any know if it is possible to operate the start/stop, say at a switch at the front but have the starter and brake hidden. The one that came with it is modern and fugly.

Mark

This is coming along very nicely indeed Wallace!

You are on the right track and your consultation of the forum is a very wise way to go. It's all to easy to falter because of impatience and waiting, asking, deliberating before doing is always the best way!

Watching this thread with continued interest.....

Cheers

Jim

That fence is looking very nice. I own four PK's. I imported three of them from the UK. I also recently acquired a PL. It looks very similar to the PK, but has a gear driven arbor and a tilting table. I watched Jack rebuild his PK and now watching this thread, I'm very tempted to tear into one of my saws. I agree with you on the electricals. The original switches had alot of character. It's a shame to have that modern box on the front of the machine. You can just put a starter inside the frame or mount a box on the back of the machine. Good luck on the rebuild.

-Arthur

wallace":5ztfupvf said:
Jarret welcome to the forum. What kind of condition is your PK in. Does it have the quadrant and protractor.

Mark

Thank you, and everyone else for the welcome.

My PK is in fairly good condition, and by that I mean it isn't suffering a damage that will affect it's performance. I was fortunate to be able to stop by Jack's (tool613) place on my drive home after picking up my first Wadkin, and other than some missing bits, he gave the thumbs up. :D

The disappointing news is the lack of accessories that I'm suffering. It did come with a protractor, but that's pretty much it. Missing is the quadrant, either style of fence, the protractor slot filler pieces, and the release handle for the sliding table retaining pin. The interesting bit, is what else is missing from my PK.

I was disappointed that I was missing the fence extension that bolts on, but after Jack gave it a once over he pointed out that I'm also missing the small casted in section that's meant to be the mount for the crown guard post. It looks as though, mine is supposed to have the full sized right hand extension wing. I'd post a picture but I don't have the post count yet to allow it.

I of course will start my own thread here about the finer details of my PK restoration anyway, as to not hijack your thread, but you did ask, and I'm all to eager to talk about my first Wadkin...

Keep up the great work...

Jarrett

jimi43":112iihgm said:
Arthur...I take it you're part of that wonderful website by your nickname?

Jim,
I am a member there. I have a few English (and American) machines posted. If you go to the photo archives, you can find some pictures of my machines.

I also try to keep a blog on my various endeavours at owwm . net

If you go to that link, there's a post that's somewhat relevant to this discussion. I recently made a batch of replacement split miter fences (quadrants) for the PK. Based on a recent request from a friend, I'm going to attempt the protractor as well.

Thanks for the kind welcome.

-Arthur

theowwm":4o2n47yn said:
jimi43":4o2n47yn said:
Arthur...I take it you're part of that wonderful website by your nickname?

Jim,
I am a member there. I have a few English (and American) machines posted. If you go to the photo archives, you can find some pictures of my machines.

I also try to keep a blog on my various endeavours at owwm . net

If you go to that link, there's a post that's somewhat relevant to this discussion. I recently made a batch of replacement split miter fences (quadrants) for the PK. Based on a recent request from a friend, I'm going to attempt the protractor as well.

Thanks for the kind welcome.

-Arthur

AH! Yes...THAT Arthur! :mrgreen:

I remember that one...I remember thinking it is a braver man than I who would rely on those straps!!! :wink: Probably a lot safer than it looks mate!

I notice there are few more Walker Taylor belt/discs 5510 up there now...I still have some questions relating to this machine but since it has been modified quite a bit to work with British power and belts....I don't really know if it's worth looking at US models. It certainly works and I use it a lot! Anyway...enough of my hijacking! Sorry Wallace! :wink:

Jim

I spent 3 hrs giveing my workshop a good clean, everything was covered in a layer of dust and crud. I can now spend some time setting up the saw. Arthur I got sent a link to your website from jack. I'm very impressed by the quadrant you made. May I ask why four PK's. I very nearly got a RA H Lathe sometime ago but bottled it and went for the RS.
Mark

wallace":6fvoqrkb said:
Arthur I got sent a link to your website from jack. I'm very impressed by the quadrant you made. May I ask why four PK's. I very nearly got a RA H Lathe sometime ago but bottled it and went for the RS.
Mark

Why 4 PKs....? Ask him why he has 70 some odd Whitney's.

Arthur's home brew quadrant for 'one' of his PKs is what encouraged me to buy my PK. The parts can be made if the effort is made.

wallace":3u4eowfg said:
May I ask why four PK's.

Sure thing. The first one was intentional. It was the saw with the left and right table extensions. I found it in a little shop out in Bideford. I had been searching for such a saw for years and none had turned up in the States. I just couldn't pass it up. The second and third saws were bought while I was stuffing a container in Felixstowe. I had purchased about ten machines and still had floor space to spare. One came up on e-bay, the other in a regular auction. The same thing happened with the PL. The fourth saw just turned up on Craigslist in the most unlikely of spots (Belaire Texas). I bought it and had it shipped to Somerset without knowing anything about it. The bottom line is that I love these saws. I still watch for a great deal on one. Now the number of PK's is nothing compared to the number of Whitney variety saws I own. I'm in the neighborhood of 54 right now (not 70, although that would be conceivable, and if you added up all the Whitney machines together, that's probably close to the truth). I still think the Whitney No. 177 variety saw with the rolling table is the nicest saw ever made, but they are so rare that finding one is highly unlikely (only four know in existence). Anyway, I love wathching these rebuild threads. Thanks for sharing.

-Arthur

theowwm":2rr3fjf0 said:
Now the number of PK's is nothing compared to the number of Whitney variety saws I own. I'm in the neighborhood of 54 right now (not 70, although that would be conceivable, and if you added up all the Whitney machines together, that's probably close to the truth).

My apologies to you Arthur for exaggerating the truth by repeating rumour. I definitely heard on a couple of occassions that you were up in the 70's with just the Whitney Variety Saw. Still my fault for speaking out turn though....

Anyway, I love wathching these rebuild threads. Thanks for sharing.

-Arthur

Agreed.... We need more pictures...!!...lol.

Jarrett

Hi, I had a go at running the saw this morning :cry: notheing happened. I looked inside the brake and somebody had started to unwire it, luckily I could tell where the wires were supposed to go. Plugged it in and it ran backwards (homer) . Switch wires and bingo.
Mark

wallace":2nitza7j said:
Hi, I had a go at running the saw this morning :cry: notheing happened. I looked inside the brake and somebody had started to unwire it

Mark

Well that's awfully odd.... Did you purchase the saw from someone else who was attempting a restoration...? I can't think of any reason why someone would unhook the brake.?

J. Vibert":3c2wucxu said:
My apologies to you Arthur for exaggerating the truth by repeating rumour. I definitely heard on a couple of occassions that you were up in the 70's with just the Whitney Variety Saw. Still my fault for speaking out turn though....

No worries. When you see all those saws together it looks like there could be 70 (or even a hundred).

-Arthur

The saw came from a door makeing factory, that was closeing. All I can think of is that someone maybe tried to take it, I think there quite expensive. This one can stop the saw in 3 secs. Not that I've been a bit obsessed recently about my saw but my daughter made me this

BRacelet.jpg

Arthur, have you got any photos of your collection of iron. Some people may think you have obsessive compulsive disorder :D

Mark

Tthat would have been my thought on the saw brake. not like there cheep and regulation so very useful for other machines

Wadkin jewelry? got to be a first. Very nice Mark.

jack
English machines

Back