wadkin MJ restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wallace":2s55ivg0 said:
It was cheap so could not help myself.

:) :) :)

You should do the tool resto stuff as a side business, local folks could kit their workshops out with quality old gear instead of the overpriced badge swapped stuff so common now.

I sold a lathe recently and the guy who bought it came to collect it. A couple of days later he rang me up asking me to restore a little Holroyd multi wheel grinder. I said I would, so I'll soon see if its worth the effort. I think it will be hard to recoup a profit

Interesting, I suppose you have to be careful not to under price your time. I would imagine the enthusiasts will be willing to spend though, they know what sort of machine they will get if they are having a wadkin or similar restored to working order.

If only it was that simple. A while ago I thought I would sell my PK table saw firstly because it was one with an oversized table, the fence moves over a good 36" so I thought it was too big for my workshop and secondly I wanted an excuse to do another PK. It went for £800 which I could not let happen, so a friend bought it. I have had a good offer from someone in the states but I think the cost of shipping has scared him. I have another two pk's in the line

Heres that 'last' machine I mentioned. I got it for the princely sum of £13. It is quite rough but is nearly all aluminium.

At that price I can see why it was rude to turn it down. Scrap alone ( perish the thought) is substantially more than that. (hammer)

It's not really correct because I had to have it couriered and that was £40. But still a quirky little saw which will look smashing when restored

wallace":3pwp9dwg said:
But still a quirky little saw which will look smashing when restored

...and provide another restoration thread for us to enjoy; because to be honest your restorations are both compulsive viewing and a mine of useful resto tips.

Does anyone think there should be a section or subsection devoted to woodworking machinery. I have seen it on other forums and it acts as a good resource. MODS if it is something members would like to have could one be created?

wallace":k1danc5g said:
Does anyone think there should be a section or subsection devoted to woodworking machinery. I have seen it on other forums and it acts as a good resource. MODS if it is something members would like to have could one be created?

Agreed, there's one over there and as one who has posted a restoration would make searching much easier

:lol: I agree Nathan it is an illness. Its nearly as bad as collecting woody planes :shock:
I have spent the last 6 hrs moving machinery around and taking cupboards down in an attempt to make room for both of my p/t's. In the end I have put everything back to where it was and admitted defeat. I will have to get rid of a planer, anyone after a 100 year old planer?

putting my bts back together. ordered bearings with bearingboys, with 2-3 day delivery and arrived next day! not bothering to paint anything, it's not a pretty machine, I just need it working. had a load of stuff welded for a reasonable price. there were so many breaks that the machine should have by rights been scrap, but luckily met the guy who did the welding for me. he knew his stuff inside out, makes chassis for classic cars in the main, the welding was stunning. hopefully get it running in the next couple of days.

Ah, bit extreme for my 13a supply. It it was 10 or 12" it might have been a goer!

Hi I measured the planer and its 16". As you can see its quite a lump, I would estimate it to be about 650kg. I would love to keep it but I cant find room.

Back