Wadkin DM or Multico K1 Mortise for furniture making ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aebersold

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, if any of you furniture makers can offer advice I'd be most grateful. I have never used a mortising machine, having cut all mortises previously by hand, so I did a little research and bought a Wadkin DM and restored it, thinking it would last me for the rest of my life. However, after a visit to the Barnsley workshop in Hampshire, I discovered that they use a much smaller Multico K series machine, so I went and bought one, thinking it must be a better suited machine for my purpose. Now I'm a little confused as to which one to keep for the purpose of making furniture. My confusion is exacerbated by the amount of time spent on the wadkin and it's quality, but is it the wrong machine. Which one should I move on, any educated ideas ?
Alex

Non educated here but thats a hard one to answer really, you have both machines and have used them so its really up to you to say which is more suited to the type of furniture that you make .

Thanks Mark. As yet I haven't used either machine as I do not have the collets for the wadkin and would need to invest, and only just acquired the multico which does have all collets. I've prepared some chisels and when I get some time, I'll set it up and try it to see if it can cope with mortises in hardwood up to 3/4". From other posts, that seems to be large enough for general furniture making.
Alex

Hello Alex,

I have owned a Multico and now own a Wadkin and would go with the Wadkin every time, it is a better machine and as you have spent the time restoring it will give you years of service.
I cant speak as a dedicated cabinet maker and could see the argument that the Wadkin may be a bit big so as you have them both I would give them both a good try.
You are more likely to get your money back on the Wadkin if it has a set of collets so the investment should be worth it?

Merlin

That's helpful Merlin, thank you. I'd be interested to know the type of work you do with your machine ? You are right, the wadkin is definitely a better machine, just not sure if it's overkill for my purpose. I'll take your advice, use both and make a decision !
Cheers
Alex

Latest posts

Back