Wadkin BER spindle help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Telebrit

Reaction score
Hi
I’m new here, an ex-pat now living in California. I recently bought a Wadkin BER3 (1973) needing some TLC. I think most of these were imported to USA with a Canadian Brooks motor and a 1” spindle (top piece) I would like to get a
1 1/4” spindle as that is what my tooling is bored for.
Does anyone know if the EQ spindle will fit the BER3?
Hoping someone will know, thank you.
2FC079B9-5D06-40CE-930D-D2144CE1D59F.jpeg

Attachments

• 2FC079B9-5D06-40CE-930D-D2144CE1D59F.jpeg
    2FC079B9-5D06-40CE-930D-D2144CE1D59F.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 54
I'd personally just use top hat reducers as a new spindle shaft will cost you an arm and a leg unless you can find a spares machine to steal one from. A friend of mine had the same problem with a Dominion spindle moulder which was very similar to the BER and was quoted over £600 for a new shaft so he just went with the £20 worth of top hat reducers instead. A 1" spindle is stout enough for most work so long as you're not doing 6" tall mouldings in one pass all the time.

Thanks for the reply, I agree 1 inch is pretty stout.
There was a recent EBay auction for a Wadkin EQ 1 1/4” spindle and though they look similar I was hoping to get confirmation of interchangeability before buying. Alternatively I think Dalton’s can supply a new one for 350 pounds. Ouch!!

Latest posts

Back