Wadkin BAOS 12 Planer Questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
A builder I know has had a single phase BAOS 12 sat in the corner of his workshop for about 30 years, he bought it in a sale and has never really used it.

I asked if he wanted to sell it and he said that a few years ago the feed rollers stopped working and he hasn't used it since. I had a quick look inside and the feed roller chain was just hanging down with no where obvious for it to go. I asked if he had taken any parts off and he wasn't sure but he had a rummage around and found a box with a few parts in. There was what I think you would call a worm drive and a worn looking cog. This sparked my memory because I had a BAOS years ago and think I remember replacing the same part, is this a common problem?

Had a quick look online and looks like its £325 for the cog!!! That might even be plus vat. Should the worm drive be replaced at the same time?

There was also a motor in the cupboard with the parts, thinking about it did they have a separate motor to drive the feed rollers, guess that has been taken off also.

Think he will practically give the planer to me as he never uses it and I do some joinery for him. It is in really good condition apart from the feed roller problem. I am good with wood but not great with machinery, I would like it but not if it is going to cost £100s to get working properly.

Anybody got any experience or thoughts on this?

Thanks, Doug

I think worm drive gears look worn but they're actually cut with a little radius on the teeth (which would look like wear on a normal gear) so they engage with the worm screw correctly, it's work checking first that they mesh nicely and even if it's a little sloppy it should work fine in use. Even if it is the gear that's worn out you could be able to pick one up from someplace else if you measure it correctly. The worm screw itself shouldn't have any wear on it at all so long as it's been kept clean and greased because the gear is bronze and won't wear the steel worm.

Does the motor work at all or is it unknown? Could be as simple as the motor stopped running.

The part I think it needs is this

https://www.advancedmachinery.co.uk/mac ... 2-2635-381

Looking at it I see what you mean about the slight radius on the teeth but sure it was much worse than this.

As I said the motor that drives the feed rollers has been removed, I am guessing to get to the worm drive gears.

I will have another look at it and gather all the pieces together. It's such a shame seeing it sat there covered in dust. It starts fine and runs sweetly for planing over the top its just the thicknesser part that is the problem.

Doug

I would still look around to see if you can find a gear to match, £400 inc the VAT is extortionate, you could probably have it made for less!

Back