Wadkin BAO/S planer thicknesser problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liam8223

Established Member
Reaction score
Giving this forum a hammering today!

Had some fun earlier trying to set the blades in my planer.
got them parallel to the cutterblock in the end, but - and its a big but - i have checked the tables to the cutterblock (not the knives) with a dial gauge and they are both about 40 thou high on one side - or the cutterblock is too low one side?!

Just been on daltons to get a manual on pdf, and no reference made to resetting the tables parallel to the cutter.

Anyone shed any light?

chers, Liam.

The cutter block is not too critical but the knife setting is.

Depending on your machine design and sorry i am not familiar with that one, this would normally be the order of adjustment
Firstly the infeed and outfeed rollers need to be parallel to the thicknessing table. How you do this depends on the machine.
Then set the knives parallel to the thicknessing table.
Then set the planer outfeed table with respect to the knives for zero snipe across the whole knife width.
Lastly set the infeed table coplanar with the outfeed table resisting all temptation to move the outfeed to achieve this.

HTH

Bob

Okay!

Back to this saga.

The poor old wadkin is further stripped down now, and I have bought a proper blade setting tool from Daltons, same as the original one supplied new.

Turns out I had the blades spot on!

But the tables are still 40 thou high on one side in relation to the cutter block (fence side).

Went to Cromwell and picked up some 10thou shim steel.

So.... Will be cutting up some shim and going at it hell for leather.

I'm determined to get this thing spot on, even 5 thou would niggle me!

Pics to follow this week, including table cleaning and protecting.

Liam.

Liam I'm new to the forum having found it and your post via google after much frustration trying to change knives. I see you bought the original style knife setting tool. How have you got on with it? Does it set accurately or do you have to play around with the knives as well to get it right? I have the same planer but not the setting tool. I see it's quite expensive but I'll spend out the cash on one if it's good. Any comments welcome!

Back