Wadkin AGS10 questions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9fingers yes, that was the idea, because some members seemed to be assuming it must be a BSW 11 TPI. Not!

You are right, there is no need for a square thread to be an official standard, as the profile of the thread is fixed at, well, square. But the tool is not so simple, as it has to have finite thickness, necessitating different relief on either side to avoid the helix of the thread.

There is a great thread :)-)) on cutting square threads on http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/so ... ds-149182/. A quote from this is: "Square threads are possibly the toughest threading job you could possibly imagine." !

Interesting that your Xcalibur also uses a square thread. It clearly makes sense, but cheaper manufacturers don't bother.

Wow. Ok - so how do we go about getting a bolt or similar cut to that spec without having to forego the nut or the arbour for a period of time while it is as the machinists?

Not been here for a while, according to my records it's an ACME thread depending on which model it is.
(Hello 9F)

There might be the possibility of getting one.

Can you post a pic of the machine?

Paul, I am pretty sure that Memzey's and mine have a square thread, not ACME. The thread sides are not sloping, and the ACME 5/8 thread standard is 8 TPI not 12. Please see the pictures we posted.

Memzey, Paul may still be able to come up with it, as may Wadkin/SergeantsGandM as SammyQ posted. Otherwise, find a good machinist.

I am still interested in the pinion on the fence drive - please see my original post, which has kind of got buried! I wonder if your records show this, and also how to disassemble the pinion/bush arrangement?

Is this the saw?
AGS OLD (2).jpg

Attachments

• AGS OLD (2).jpg
    AGS OLD (2).jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 43
Sorry MM - yes it's a variant of the nut I am after. Larger diameter with a knurled round edge.

Looks like Memzey wants the dado nut?

Paul, could you kindly also enquire about the pinion for the fine adjustment on the fence, on this model, please?

Thanks, Keith

Yes i think that is the correct part number.

Musicman - I can take pictures of the pinion and underside of the front fence bar when I get home tonight if you like. I'd do it now but we are at the Battle of Britain airs show in Ashford at the moment!

Paul, I don't have a list of part numbers - would appreciate one. All I have is the Wadkin Library AGS10 (older style) manual, in which the pinion is part no. 18 on page 3.

Memzey, thanks for the offer but I have the saw and fence so no need. It's just that the pinion is worn.

Enjoy the air show!

Back