Wadkin AGS 14" Spindle housing Cracked

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettmans

Reaction score
Hello All - I have recently purchased a 14" AGS Table Saw. Its my first Table Saw and is just for Hobby/DIY use. Its a bit bigger than I wanted, but was a good price and local to me, so I went for it

On setting it up, I have removed the table and it has a cracked Riving Knife mount, but more worryingly the Spindle Housing flange (equivalent to part 14 in the 10" AGS older style manual) that mounts the spindle to the slide bracket is cracked in two places.

I'm hoping you may be able to help me with a few questions. The Machine Number is 14 AGS 641060

1. I assume I can have a new riving knife mount made up using the broken pieces I have as a template, am I correct, and have others done this?
2. Does anyone know where I could possibly get a spare spindle housing? I've tried a couple of the spares suppliers that come up on google, but to no avail...
3. Does anyone have access to the manual for the 14 AGS that shows the spare parts exploded diagram? The only manuals I can find for the 14" do not have the exploded diagram, my only reference to part numbers etc at the moment is the 10AGS older style manual, and I assume the part numbers for the 14" will be different.
4. Is it safe to use the saw with a cracked spindle housing until I can get it repaired/replaced?
5. Is it going to be possible to weld the spindle housing if I can not get a spare (I think its a casting so I know it may be difficult...)

I've hopefully attached a few photos of the cracks

Any help is much appreciated

Brett

Attachments

• IMG_7743.jpg
    IMG_7743.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_7742.jpg
    IMG_7742.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7741.jpg
    IMG_7741.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7740.jpg
    IMG_7740.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 82
Hi Brett, I've had problems with a part of my pad sander which has cracked a couple of times. I found out the hard way that welding is not the solution. The best seems to be gas brazing. It's harder to find someone to do it, but well worth it.
Good luck with the AGS!
Pete

Thanks Gents - I'll start looking for some local Gas Brazers. I'm also thinking it should be a fairly simple part to have machined if worst comes to worst.

Back