Wadkin AGS 10 Fence, original or aftermarket

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobson156

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought an Wadkin AGS 10, the older pattern with the two parallel fence bars with imperial units; rather than the newer single bar metric version.

Unfortunately, the previous own has bent one of the two fence bars and has replace the with a peice of aluminium extrusion which is then set by tapping it with a mallet. It's got to go.

I am struggling to find anywhere selling a AGS 10 Rip Fence and even if I found one I'd also need to either replace or straighten out the bent fence bar. So I thought I'd ask here if:
  1. Does anyone have a Wadkin AGS 10 Rip fence they'd be willing to part with?
  2. What aftermarket options are there. I've seen some that look very cheap and flimsy and some better ones that are much more expensive, also prohibitively so.
Aftermarket ones I've seen inlcude:

Cheap:

https://toolsandthings.co.uk/products/universal-rip-fence-upgrade-for-table-saws-charnwood-psf
Expensive:

https://www.scosarg.com/rip-fence-assembly-for-saw-with-mounting-rail
All input, greatly welcome, cheers

I have recently bought an Wadkin AGS 10, the older pattern with the two parallel fence bars with imperial units; rather than the newer single bar metric version.

Unfortunately, the previous own has bent one of the two fence bars and has replace the with a peice of aluminium extrusion which is then set by tapping it with a mallet. It's got to go.

I am struggling to find anywhere selling a AGS 10 Rip Fence and even if I found one I'd also need to either replace or straighten out the bent fence bar. So I thought I'd ask here if:
  2. What aftermarket options are there. I've seen some that look very cheap and flimsy and some better ones that are much more expensive, also prohibitively so.

Cheap:

https://toolsandthings.co.uk/products/universal-rip-fence-upgrade-for-table-saws-charnwood-psf
Expensive:

mine is like this one currently on ebay,

Attachments

• ags fence ebay.jpg
    ags fence ebay.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 0
What exactly are you missing from the original fence. I definitely have a set of bars

mine is like this one currently on ebay,
When you say it is 'like it', do you mean in design or exactly like it?

That one is for an AGS 12, which I presume is a bit larger than an AGS 10. I had seen this one on eBay already and am tempted to buy it and modify it however:
  1. It doesn't rectify the issue I have with the bent rail
  2. It is missing the adjuster knob - not critical, but certainly nice to have and the aftermarket ones do have one
  3. 200quid is a lot of money for something that's still going to require me to do a lot of work to get it working (straighten out the rail, cutting down the fence)​
Do you have the rails for it, or just the fence itself, do you know if it is a for an AGS / BGP 10 or 12?

Thanks for your time

What exactly are you missing from the original fence. I definitely have a set of bars
Basically everything. I've got the two rails, but they're not in great shape and would be better replaced if someone has those too.

I make replacement adjuster knobs, they are always worn out. We replace them on all the saws we sell.

Basically everything. I've got the two rails, but they're not in great shape and would be better replaced if someone has those too.
Well, I have the rails yoi require. I don’t have a fence, that git sold recently. I also have a micro adjuster assembly.

Well, I have the rails yoi require. I don’t have a fence, that git sold recently. I also have a micro adjuster assembly.
Right this is great, I am to wait to see what everyone else has got and we might be able to cobble something together and get this brilliant old saw back in action.

I will look tomorrow if I have a fence fabrication, that’s the bit that alters the length. I think I might have an old one that’s a bit ‘battered’ that you can for free. The rails are the long rails, which I can cut down to any length for you. £50. The micro adjust is £80. You would need to collect the bars from near Chester.

That all sounds brilliant! I live in High Peak just outside Manchester/Stockport so I can get Chester no problem.

Let me know what you find tomorrow and we can go from there.

Thanks again for your time

Cheap:

Expensive:

Hi,

I've just become the steward of a 10AGS today, so quite excited. By all accounts it seems to be a 1959 model and in great condition except for a missing fine adjuster. But sorry, I digress.

In the run up to the purchase, I came across this thread (Another Wadkin AGS 10 restoration thread.) which suggests a solution to your deformed fence rail woes (metal straightening services | west midlands | John Macnab Services Ltd). I have no experience of this, nor idea of cost etc., but thought it might be helpful.

Cheers.

Back