Wadkin AGS 10 fence maintenance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterochse

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on maintaining the fence of an AGS 10, please? My fence has not been sliding easily when I have to adjust it. I was able to dismantle it to a point and clean it all out. It does slide better now but there is still a bit of play across the length of the fence and it will stick if I get it out of square to the table. I have resorted to carefully sliding it with both hands. I am sure that there must be a better way.

Thanks
Peter

Which version of the fence do you have. Some are full length and clamp to rails at the back and front and others (like mine) are short fences that just clamp at the front.

The only time my fence was binding was when the adjustable fence extrusion was clamped a bit low and binding the table surface - this was after I had changed it from the low position to the high position. I just had to make sure it was properly seated in the correct position and I could move it again with one hand. I also keep the rail and the bit of the casting that slides along the rail lubricated with a ptfe spray every so often.

If you post an image of your fence it will be eaier to help diagnose and solve your problem.

Misterfish

Sounds like Peter has the older version. There are some nuts you can tighten or slacken to adjust the angle of the fence and how tight it camps to the rails. Try playing with those and let us know how you get on?

My AGS 10 is a 1961 model & the fence clamps at the front and back. I have assumed that the 3 bolts on the top are for aligning the fence square only. There is a screw accessed from a hole in the clamp that tightens the rod between the two clamps. Tightening this removes sideways play but over tightening effectively clamps the fence in place. Is there a method of adjusting that removes play from the front clamp?

I have owned the saw for a few months and the fence moved easier when I first got it. So I am assuming a setting has moved with use and it just requires adjustment.

Thanks
Peter

I have a slightly different Wadkin but of the same vintage and fence arrangement:

The fence is off in that pic but you can see the rails front and back. I've found that after cleaning and waxing the rails and clamping parts, the fence does run smoother but can be brought slightly out of square when moved unless you push/pull it from the middle. I have a feeling that this could be eliminated with proper fettlling of the clamp tightening screw but never got the appropriately shaped tuit! I just check its square with a 12" framing square before I clamp it in position. Let us know how you get on!

Have waxed and played with the screw settings. A looser setting on the bar that connects to the back clamp makes for easier adjusting. Thanks for the advice, this is much better.

Does the grub screw in the picture below allow one to adjust the clamping pressure on the front clamp? From the picture in the manual, it looks like you what have to remove the cam in order to be able to adjust it and that the grub screw is only for locking.

What are the views of replacing the rip fence body with one made from MDF or melamine or an appropriate aluminium extrusion? I have had a piece of melamine as a sacrificial fence and shimmed to try get it square as the original rip fence body is not straight.

Thanks
Peter

Fence 3.jpg

Fence 1.jpg

Fence 2.jpg

Attachments

• Fence 3.jpg
    Fence 3.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 994
  • Fence 1.jpg
    Fence 1.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 994
  • Fence 2.jpg
    Fence 2.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 994
Can't say I've ever played with that grub screw but will have a look next time I'm with the machine. As for lining the fence: mine is lined with Bakelite!

custard":1m9e4ufn said:
memzey":1m9e4ufn said:

Mmmm! Very nice, likey likey.
Thanks Custard. It's a Wadkin BGS 10, my pride and joy and a rare beast to boot. I have to say though that it was in rather poorer condition when I pushed it up my drive last year. I did a full restoration on it which I chronicled on the Candian website at the link below:
https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/f ... estoration
It's a great machine to use and unlike other Wadkin dimension saws is small enough to be fully utilised in my home workshop (that's only slightly bigger than 20' x 15'). Still got great capacity and accuracy though and considering it cost me less than a new Axminster TS200 It's proven to be great value as well.

Peterochse":4owrmgp9 said:
Tightening this removes sideways play but over tightening effectively clamps the fence in place. Is there a method of adjusting that removes play from the front clamp?

Thanks
Peter

Hey Peter,

Sorry to drag up an old thread! but i've just bought the same saw you had, and have problems with rail wobblage, did you ever manage to sort it?

Cheers

Back