Vulcan - Southport Air Show this weekend 19-20 Sept 2015

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This day in 1961, eight RAF Vulcans simulated a Russian attack on US missile silos as part of Operation Skyshield II. They entered US airspace at 56,000 ft – above the USAF B-52s – having successfully evaded the American Convair interceptors. The US military was astonished when one of the Vulcans landed at Plattsburgh Air Force Base. A year earlier, the Vulcan’s agility had allowed them to reach US targets bellow the RADAR, at treetop level. A tremendous achievement for the Vulcan crews whose tactics were masterful, and for the engineers whose aircraft and electronic countermeasures proved to be the world’s finest. The Americans were denying it until 1999'.

Wonder where/when the final flight will be? Given the concern about crowds at Doncaster Airport, SWMBO reckons that whenever the last flight will be that it will have an 'emergency' and land elsewhere. Then at some time, before the end of October, quietly make its last 'last' flight back to its home at Doncaster.

And lastly, Hitler learns that 2015 is the last year XH558 flies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... SGBBpctxc0

No that was not a barrel role it was a wing over which is completely different, they say, as a barrel roll is now illegal for that age of aircraft.

it was good though wasnt it :-D

john

jpt":3m1mhamv said:
No that was not a barrel role it was a wing over which is completely different, they say, as a barrel roll is now illegal for that age of aircraft.

it was good though wasnt it :-D

john

I think if you look more closely that it did actually roll. But there are now questions as to the veracity of the video, artificial etc.

I spent a very enjoyable 47 minutes watching this documentary on the Vulcans used in 1982:

Interviews with the flight crew(s) and the issues they had to deal with.

i.e. leaving without fully understanding how all the refuelling was going to happen, and not having a map of the southern hemisphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1l9GyJlmN4

Flynnwood":3hai9dft said:
I spent a very enjoyable 47 minutes watching this documentary on the Vulcans used in 1982:

Interviews with the flight crew(s) and the issues they had to deal with.

i.e. leaving without fully understanding how all the refuelling was going to happen, and not having a map of the southern hemisphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1l9GyJlmN4

It certainly is a very watchable programme. I also have the book and went to a talk given by Barry Masefield who was one of the crews involved with making it all happen. I didn't realise that there were another six missions after that although one was cancelled due to technical issues.

The book is excellent Vulcan 607. It's a fabulous read and goes into a great deal of detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back