Voting in the Advanced category is now complete

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please vote for the winner in the Advanced category

• Tim - Library Cabinet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Woodbloke - casket

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Please cast your vote for the piece that appeals to you the most. You are invited to comment if you wish and comments will be appreciated. Your judgment is a matter of personal taste, the critical eye of the judges will be aimed more at the technicalities of the entries although you are also free to consider these if you wish.

Tim
Woodbloke

Although I can appreciate the quality and craftmanship in Tim's piece, I just cannot get round the colour. Sorry Tim, I realise it was your clients choice.

Woodblokes casket, is quite simply beautiful. I cannot fault it. The skill is outstanding and the finished piece, i'm sure will be an heirloom. So Rob, you get my vote.

I think that both pieces entered in the advanced category are stunning.

Tim's bookcase (and all the others he made for the customer) is just so right. It's a very good example of how you can sometimes use modern materials and methods and a striking colour and put the piece in a setting from a different era, and it looks good.

It must sometimes be very difficult for the professional woodworker to interpret what the customer wants and to produce a finished piece that meets all the customer's needs and looks good. Tim has certainly done that with his bookcases - I would have been very proud to have made them.

Rob's casket is something totally different. It is an example of the cabinet maker's skills at their finest. I was fortunate to see this piece at various stages during it's construction. It is, perhaps, unfortunate that the best bit (the secret mitre dovetails) will never be seen. Some might ask why bother doing it that way? I would say why not. Rob is a perfectionist and I think it's good that woodworkers like him use joints like that because it's the right way to do it - I wish I had the skill.

There are details in Rob's casket that have to be seen and felt in order truly to appreciate them. The curvature of the sides; the slight change he made to the shape of the corners; and the small handle. It is a very tactile piece.

Rob not only made the casket but he made the plane with which to shape the curved sides. In my view that plane, had it been entered separately in the competition, would have stood a good chance of winning. Suffice to say, it's made to the same standard as the casket.

Two stunning pieces. But for me the winner has to be Rob for the superb cabinet making skills involved in making his casket.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Rob's casket has to win. The shape is so simple, yet so well thought that you can just admire. The small handle gives a perfect last touch to it. If I had to comment anything, I would maybe have wanted to see some sort of panelling on the lid, but then again that would have fought against the contemporary look. It is art.

Tim's bookcase is a masterpiece. Well, the color is horrible and makes it look like the whole bookcase would have jumped out of Alice's doll house, but that was the choice of the customer. I think Tim might have got my vote if I would have seen progress photos. There are so many intriguing details that it's a pity not to see how they were built.

Pekka

Both very impressive pieces of work (I'm in understatement mode today), but for me it's Rob's casket. Wow.

Thanks for all the encouraging words...full write up in next months F&C - Rob

Terrific box from Rob, love the proportions, the shape including the curved sides that flow into the curved stand, the whole design concept and of course the first rate craftsmanship as well.

Looks good in the pics and even more so in real life.

Great to see this quality of craftsmanship and follow the process of making as well.

Cheers, Paul. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back