Vista

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymar

Established Member
Reaction score
We are visiting my daughter and her husband in Majorca*lovely and warm it is too(. He bought a computer locally but vista is loaded in Spanish. We have tried altering the language in control panel but nothing happens. He has a recovery section on hid harddrive, would he be able to choose English if he reloaded Vista?

Only if the recovery section is multi language. Otherwize an Enligh version on DVD or CD is required with maybe some additional driverss from the internet.

Have you tried Linux? Will probably be the default operating system before long.

Take a copy of XP with you and get rid of that Vista rubbish....imo ;)

wizer":2035xw0q said:

ahh the march of progress , eric ludd was correct, mumble mumble

but why stop there - i have a copy of windows 95 you can have - mind you its been a coffee mat for the last 10 years so it may not load very well ;)

every MS OS has had it's flaws, but XP works for me. Vista is just bloat.

big soft moose":1kd4s513 said:
wizer":1kd4s513 said:

but why stop there - i have a copy of windows 95 you can have - mind you its been a coffee mat for the last 10 years so it may not load very well ;)

Indeed, after install that, reach for the floppes containg windows 3.1, MS-DOS 6, PC-DOS 2, then reach for VAX/VMS discs, install TOPS and than ITS. Now that you have about one of the oldest multi tasking (and mult user multi language etc OSees) you're ready to install Ultrix, and finish up with either Linux or freeBSD.

Linux is definately becoming more popular with the new breed of lightweight machines like the EEE pc.
Wizer I was exactly the same as you re Vista but have recently been forced to give it a try with a new PC and despite being painful (SP1 is a must) to begin with I've grown to quite like it! In fact my XP machines look a little boring now! For home use the extra software that comes with the Home Premium version is quite useful. Did a quick DVD for my Mum and Dad using the in built software and it was a doddle (had to use the in built software because my version of Pinnacle doesn't work in Vista!!)
Cheers
Gidon

Oh, and for the folks that have no idea what the thing are in my previous post, these are the operating system from the time when computer where a that larger, did come with networking support and a compiler to write your own software if you wanted to do that and loads and loads off handy applications.

When Microsoft stepped in network support went away and every program and compiler had to be bought separately often at premium prices.

O and OSes has funny names too:

ITS = Incompatible Timesharing System
WAITS = Worst Acronym Invented for a Timesharing System
SINNERS = Stanford Incompatible Non-New Extensively Rewritten System
TOPS = Total OPerating System

This was all in the time that only Hackers used computer (which were called programmed data processors) and it was not uncomming to reach for a soldering iron to add a feature.

tnimble":ik8k8yoz said:
big soft moose":ik8k8yoz said:
wizer":ik8k8yoz said:

Indeed, after install that, reach for the floppes containg windows 3.1, MS-DOS 6, PC-DOS 2, then reach for VAX/VMS discs, install TOPS and than ITS. Now that you have about one of the oldest multi tasking (and mult user multi language etc OSees) you're ready to install Ultrix, and finish up with either Linux or freeBSD.

You forgot CP/M!

RogerS":3sxfzfrt said:
You forgot CP/M!
That's only a Bootstrap with minimal shell and BIOS (Basis Input Output System). Besides it predated where I make the switch away to real OSes that where not technological behind about 20 odd years.

Back