Visor Material

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rewound

Established Member
Reaction score
What is visor's (paricularily with some impact capability) made of ? Polycarbonate, plastic, Acrylic ?

how does thickness affect bending?

And how easy is it to cut ? I have access to a cnc router, but what bits, speed, rpm etc.

It would be nice to cheaply and regularly replace just the visor without having to replace the whole helmet, and not have to pay sometimes ludicrous prices for spares.

Polycarbonate.
I think thickness is about 1.2mm minimum, maybe 1.5mm for an especially robust version.
PC is soft and easily cut with sharp tools. Should be dead easy with a cnc router. Use a small diameter spiral or downward shearing cutter would be my ideal and dial the speed down a bit below full even though the dia is small. Use as fast a feed rate as you can. Like cutting aluminium only more so.

Where can you buy any of this stuff from cheaply, what I have been able to find the material is as much as a new helmet and visor, in some cases the plastic to cut out would be more expensive than a new cheap visor

Back