Virus security programs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience with Norton is shocking. As some know I own a website business which also fixes computers/laptops etc been fixing/building them for around 14 years now.

When Norton first came out and you was on BT internet Norton blocked your whole internet connection. After fixing they software still had its issues. I have forgotten how many PC's that have came to me and all I have done is remove Norton and there issue is fixed.

As said its very resource hungry.

I gave it a chance last year (or 2010 I forget) on a laptop that come to me for repair. I thought ill use Norton as they may have improved. It found 12 viruses and removed them all. After reboot the issue hadn't been resolved so I scanned again and it found 1 virus it should have removed. I clicked remove again and still after reboot and telling me its removed it it was still there and showing in the scan. I installed AVG which not only scanned and found over 200 more infections of different kinds, it removed the one that Norton can't. So that was that for Norton from me again.

Kapersky is the winner in official tests and its not expensive. I used to run it but it just kept hassling me far to much and having AVG still I just removed it.

In the 10 years of using AVG I/we have never been infected. Currently we run 8 Laptops and PC's with kids using 4 of the machines regularly. I have never had less then 3 machines and years ago I used to download quite a lot. Don't bother now.

MalwareBytes is also great if you come across an infection thats being stubborn.

I used AVG up til v7.50, then got annoyed with the dishonest marketing and the cpu hogging. Did some research and went with Avast, still use it and still pleased with the improvement. AVG used to have issues with false positives, but then they all seem to, to some extent.

..and don't bother with Panda either - I'm just working to fix a machine for someone now, and their Panda install refuses to acknowledge it's infected (it most certainly is).

Si.

Used to use AVG free, but for some years now - been using Comodo Internet Security suite (free) and haven't had any issues at all - dead easy to install and use.

Not noticed it hog resources nor affect browsing. Installed on all our kit and usually on anyone's PC\Laptop I end fixing.

HIH

Dibs

Trend micro is the one supplied freely by virgin, it does slow my outlook express to a stop each time I go to my mail but OK on the internet. I suppose it means it does check each mail before the mail list is shewn?

Back