Vinyl records

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
richburrow":1l38gh62 said:
WIZER
Jungle!!!!!!
Brilliant :D
Micky Finn what a ledgend.
I never did get lost in the long dark tunnel
:lol:

That's because there was a very bright light at the end, so brilliant, it was more brilliant than the sun.....

Gill":35ifw3m4 said:
It has Vikki Clayton leading a folk-rock band
I saw Vikki live a few years ago what a singer, she had a great band with Clive Bunker (ex Tull) on drums, it was a really good set. 8) :D

The 'Clive Bunker' Tull years.... now you're talking !
Wonderful !

Modern digital sound does 'suffer' if you can call it that .. from being 'digitally' produced .. i.e., in terms of 'switches'.. either 'on or off'.
Previously, in the vinyl years etc.. the recorded analogue sound was much more of a 'curve' if you think of it being 'graphed'.
Some prefer that.. some not so.
A graph of the digital sounds would look like 'steps', if you follow the thinking.

Personally, I always like to hear 'home audio' without any additional graphic equalisation or enhancements added ... listen to it as the artist intended... Raw.

For me, the best I've heard was equipment by 'Naim'

Bose would be a second... still good but definately second to Naim.

'Tain't cheap though :wink:

Last time there was discussion about audio I asked if anyone had come across the (urban?) legend that was Black Tulip equipment?

Jenx, interesting that you like Bose given your comments about digital sound etc. As I've already expressed it's subjective but Bose always sounds to me as though the sound has been over-engineered. Impressive in so far as they do clever stuff with sound but not something I could enjoy in the longer term. A bit like a magician - clever but boring after the first trick.

B&O is another funny brand. Looks good and they used to make excellent TV's (go back about 35 years) but their audio products... Innovative but not a pleasant ride. I don't even pause to look these days.

Gill":3shorajr said:
I once saw the album quoted at £300 but to an aficionado of folk-rock it would be worth every penny. Ragged Heroes really were that good.

Gill
Talking about records that are worth a few bob, did you see what that Motown single went for last week, it was one of 2 copies in existence 'Frank Wilson - Do I Love You (indeed I do)' it sold for about £25,700 :shock:

I sold a single a few weeks ago for a paltry £21.70 :oops:

I know where you're coming from Matt, re : Bose.

I am not averse to 'digital' sound production... some prefer it to analogue, others not so much.
The best digital reproduction I've heard was definately the Naim stuff ... TBH, i don't know if its still on the market, though.
That ( along with the nicest Bose I'd seen ), was sound-source ( CD ) and amp & Speakers.. nothing more.

In fact, the NAIM, IIRC had an independent power supply box, designed to smooth out mains interference, and it, the CD Source and the amp.. plus the speakers were all on 'isolation mounts' to isolate them from the fabric of the room.
Whether it truly made the difference that was reflected in the price of doing so, is perhaps debateable... but it was an incredible sound.
If I remember ( and it was a while ago I saw it Demo'd ... about '97 I think, and 'presented' at a proper audio/hi-fi retailers, not a 'currys',..)the power supply unit alone was about £650. :shock:

Needless to say, it stayed in the shop :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I could have afforded the setup, I'd have happily taken it. ....it was truly superb.

Rob

Can I interest you in some Lowther Acoustas (Horns) or some Leak Sandwich (taking up valuable space in my workshop) - will need a very large bookshelf though? :D
In fact I think I still have a pair of RAMs and some small Wharfdales somewhere?

Rod

Hi,

Over on a HiFi forum (pink fish) one of the dealers said they had a What Hifi recomended system set up for people that came in with the mag to show them just how bad it sounded!

Naim are still going but the prices are getting a bit of a joke there top Cd player is about £12,000, and the Linn lp12 costs thousands as well. Densen http://www.densen.dk/ are really a cracking Danish firm that make some fantastic stuff and Well Tempered turntables have some really well engineered products like the Amadeus.

Pete

I've resurrected my vinyl player (Thorens TD316) with a new pickup just months ago, there is certain involvment playing those old lp:s and amazing sound quality comparing to todays de-facto mp3 compressed rubbish.

Kids (10 and 12 years) are pretty impressed of this "stone age" technology and somehow appreciate the concreteness of the music source and large album artwork. I've also found excellent source for new music lp:s in; www.becausesoundmatters.com

Looks like lp still has some followers ;-)

Racers":hu3ypiwj said:
Naim are still going but the prices are getting a bit of a joke there top Cd player is about £12,000,

:shock: :shock: :shock: Reallly ? I can believe it though !

Thanks Pete .. wasn't sure they were still in existence.

I guess the pricing structure means that they'll still have to remain in the shop ! ... It was fantastic stuff, but I guess they adopt some 'exculsivity-marketing' in their tactics ! :lol:

Jenx":38duxtcn said:
Racers":38duxtcn said:
Naim are still going but the prices are getting a bit of a joke there top Cd player is about £12,000,

:shock: :shock: :shock: Reallly ? I can believe it though !

Thanks Pete .. wasn't sure they were still in existence.

I guess the pricing structure means that they'll still have to remain in the shop ! ... It was fantastic stuff, but I guess they adopt some 'exculsivity-marketing' in their tactics ! :lol:
Salisbury firm, near Tesco's on the Southampton Rd...not that I could even afford to park in their car park (Naim that is) - Rob

Hi, Rob

I have been to Naim had a full factory tour lunch etc, I had cloned a pair of they then top of the range amps (£1300 each) and was invited to take them down for them to listen to, they said they where the best ones they heard, I have done loads of mods since then and they sound even better.

I did hear a £70,000 system there some years later wasn't that impressed.

Densen are better than Naim and much cheaper.

Pete

Back