Vinyl records

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filsgreen

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about rediscovering vinyl to see if it is as good as my memory serves, or if it is just nostalgia. Do they still press vinyl records, or will I have to rely on the second hand market? I'll have to buy a turntable any suggestions? I have a NAD amp with Bose Acoustimass 5 speakers.

TIA

Phil

Yes, there are still new vinyl records being pressed as well as a thriving second hand market. You can even buy "high quality audiphile" re-releases of many classic albums. Try looking online -

http://www.netsoundsmusic.com

or

http://www.musicstack.com

for both new and used vinyl.

As for a record player, I'd suggest a Technics 1210 mkII - reliable, decent quality, and easily repairable.

tekno.mage

I have about 200 Vinyl records. But I'm not sure they'd be quite to your taste ;)

Hi Phil

I did a similair thing about 6 years ago. Bought a turntable (Projekt) to add to my system and then went out and bought a mountain of 2nd hand vinyl. It was great picking up some superb albums for £1. :D

You can get much better vinyl releases nowadays. My personal favourite is Parralel Lines (Blondie) on 180g Vinyl. Superb.

Cheers

Karl

Buy a Machine...Juk Box I have 45`s all over the place,at boot sales you can pick them up by the box.33`s sell for over a dollar here....

Thanks everyone for your replies. Techno, I like the sound of Technics as I had a Technics deck in early '82, but a quick check has brought up no suppliers, except for Ebay.

Tom, I bet you my remaining vinyl collection is probably more eclectic than yours :D . But the condition is poor :(

Karl, I bought Parallel lines in 1979 on a foreign import in Liverpool city centre for £1. 50 :shock: . Looking at Project turntables in Vickers Hifi in York when I move over. The only bug bear with picking up 2nd hand albums is that the condition might not be up to scratch, pardon the pun!

The best ever vinyl LP I had was Katy lied by Steely Dan. It was on a special pressing and you could see through the vinyl. It was a special edition of vinyl records that cost £15 in 1980, I also bought Crime of the Century by Supertramp by the same label.

You could tell it was special, the sleeve was extra thick and the inner sleeve was different to the usual standard. Wooo, obviously I bought a plastic sleeve to protect the outer sleeve :oops:

Phil

what an odd coincidence. They've been going on about Steely Dan in the office this week. I'm quite a fan of 70's disco type stuff (even tho I wasn't born til 79 :p )

My Vinyl consists of Jungle and House. I'm not sure many people here would appreciate the House, let alone Jungle :lol:

wizer":vktkxdmk said:
My Vinyl consists of Jungle and House. I'm not sure many people here would appreciate the House, let alone Jungle :lol:

I like House & Techno - I even DJ (hence the recommendation of Technics 1210 deck) :lol:

As for where to buy a Technics deck - here's a "B Stock" bargain (dust covers are available as spares - I might even have a spare one kicking around somewhere)

http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/1210-Technic ... table.html

or try

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Technics-SL-121 ... B0000C4GFF for new (and somewhat overpriced!)

Just put Technics SL1210 or Technics 1210 into google for loads of suppliers. You'll also see there are MKIII and MK5 as well as MKII models. The MKII model has all you need, the later (more expensive) models have added frills that people may or may not find useful, but I never have.

tekno.mage

I second Pete on the Rega. I have a Planer 3 and the soundstage and life it brings to vinyl is outstanding for the money.

Steve

Good stuff Mage, nice that I'm not alone ;)

Personally I'm not a HiFi person and can't tell the difference between mid range and high end equipment. Technics 1210\1200's are probably the most popular record deck on the market and with a good cartridge I seriously doubt you'll hear any difference. You can spend thousands on HiFi. On my 18th birthday my Dad bought me a TagMaclaren system which was awesome.

wizer":2v0jwjf8 said:

I'm pushing 40 and I love house music :shock:

My Dad bought me my first House records when I was 10 and he was in his mid 30's ;) Now days he still listens to it.

I take back what I said Tom, I'm not into either House or Jungle. The closest I have got to your taste in music is Encore une fois by Sash and I bet that doesn't even come close :D . To be honest I don't think I could name an artist for either :oops:

I think I'll go for a Rega as I always wanted one of those when I first got into Hifi. I'll probably have to upgrade my speakers as well, I've had mine since 1997. Looks like I'll have to spend a few Bob.

Phil

Wizer Personally I'm not a HiFi person and can't tell the difference between mid range and high end equipment. Technics 1210\1200's are probably the most popular record deck on the market and with a good cartridge I seriously doubt you'll hear any difference.

Thats like saying all wood comes from trees so they should be no difference. You will hear the diffeerence and TagMclaren are so good they went under, sorry.

Pete

I've got a highly modified Linn Sondek LP12 but love the look of the Mitchels.

All my stuff is "steam" powered by thermionic valves - Analogue Rules!! :)

Sadly my modified Leak Troughline Tuner (and enormous Galaxy aerial) will become defunct when the big digital switch-over takes place.

I used to collect LP's when people were chucking them out - have about 4k of them - all cleaned and stored with new vinyl inner liners.

Rod

I'm obviously tone deaf then Pete. I have listened to high end HiFi and I really don't see what the fuss is about. I've been around music all my life and I work for the largest media producer in the world. I've spent a lot of time in recording studios.

Toys for boys methinks. Just like the LN vs highly fettled Stanley

Back