Vintage Record Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice planes, I am a Record fan.

My main users are a 5 1/2 and an 8.

Pete

I have a #06, from the dating time line, I would say 1952. A quality plane, rosewood and all, maybe the best Bailey style plane I've bought. The American made Stanleys from that time used green castings that warped. For a later #05 1/2 I had to arrange a date with a milling machine.

phil.p":3k4xwh0t said:
I have a Marples No.5 1/2 that was bad enough to use a flap disc on - the best machined casting by a mile of any of my planes is a Woden. :?

The Marples, does it anywhere, have a faint "Q" cast into it?
Most likely on the frog where it would be covered by the blade.

Bod

my record no7 is far lighter than a stanley version, I really like it a lot.
Do you know if it is an old or a new model? I am looking into buying a record no 7 and new ones are allot cheaper than the vintage ones (live in mainland europe). would be very thankful for any information, cheers

Do you know if it is an old or a new model? I am looking into buying a record no 7 and new ones are allot cheaper than the vintage ones (live in mainland europe). would be very thankful for any information, cheers
it is an old one, second hand I got from ebay, I have no experience with the new ones.

Older ones are considered to be better. Look for one that has the straight sided frog (1931 to late 1950s). That's not to say later ones are no good, but QC did suffer in later years so your chance of getting a carp one is greater.

HTH.

Cheers, Vann.

From my restoring of hand planes the early records are very good, but I think the Stanley’s are better not by much though they just seem to be a little better put together but it’s minuite and hardly notiable

Try to find one with a stay-set cap iron, it makes sharpening much easier.
Stay-cap irons are something you'll love, or you'll hate. There appears to be no middle ground.

Personally I'm a fan, but many very experienced woodworkers won't have a bar of them.

If you do decide to go for a stay-set, they are often marked with an "SS" on the lever cap. But lever caps and cap irons are often swapped between planes.
...I think the Stanley’s are better not by much though they just seem to be a little better put together but it’s minuite and hardly notiable
I have generally found that with Stanleys and Records of the same era, the Records are slighty better.

But each to their own.

Cheers, Vann.

Thanks guys for your replies. I will see what i get my hands on eventualy. Old metal planes are pretty hard or pricy to get a hold on here. If I end up with a new version, I will share my experience after a while

when I bought mine they were still somewhat affordable, a lot has changed with prices since then, the pandemic has pushed prices up a lot along with inflation and the economy e.t.c, you can still find the odd bargain.

Thanks guys for your replies. I will see what i get my hands on eventualy. Old metal planes are pretty hard or pricy to get a hold on here. If I end up with a new version, I will share my experience after a while
I recently sold a relatively new 5 1/2 record. The quality really was rubbish. Especially around the asjusters.

My Records from #02 to 08, all SS

Greetings from Germany

record hobel 02--08 01.jpg
record hobel 02--08 02.jpg
record hobel 02--08 03.jpg

Back