Victor Socket Chisels or Kirschen 1101 Bevel Edge Chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":1thdvw8i said:
Alf":1thdvw8i said:
Edit: To quote exactly what T L-N said, rather than put words in his mouth "However, there would be virtually no cost difference for us to make O-1 vs A-2 so I elected to choose A-2." There's no accounting for choice, as they say. :(

That's MOST interesting;

(from memory I'm afraid) I thought he said that forging the socket was made more difficult by (the properties of) A2.

BugBear

This post concerns my own senility and self-evident lack of an accurate memory. I emailed Thomas (LN) and asked!

And my memory (and most of what I said, quoting from memory) is utterly and completely wrong.

I asked Thomas:

me":1thdvw8i said:
"Does the use of A2 steel raise the manufacturing
cost of these chisels significantly, as opposed
to using O-1 steel".

and he said

Thomas Lie-Nielsen":1thdvw8i said:
To address your questions, I do not believe that the choice of A-2 over O-1 raises the cost especially. Most of the cost in labor is in machining, grinding and finishing. Heat treating is much less.

Straight (and direct) from the horses mouth.

BugBear

Thanks everyone for all your advice, I’ve just got back for holiday, and was hoping for a few replies, but 7 pages worth :shock: , that took me a while to read! :wink:

I’m still a little confused, I just want to get myself a decent set of chisels which will hopefully last me a long time! I think the Victors are definitely off the cards, and the LN seem a bit excessive for someone of my standard, maybe a few years down the road. I think getting Japanese chisels might be a bit too different from our original tool list, tho in time I’m sure I’ll end up with a set of them too!

So it seems to me that it I’m only left with two options, the Ashly Iles or the unpolished Kirschens. Half of me says get the unpolished Kirschen 1101 set, but then I don’t really like the look of them. And although I like the look of the Ashley Isles chisels I’m worried about the quality of the steel, after reading the comments from lots of you guys. :?

Does anyone know if any of these chisels might be at the Yandles show in Sept, as I suppose, seeing the chisels in person might help me make my decision?! :wink:

Thanks again guys

p.s Just in case anyone is intrested I found out that the Axminster Victor range of chisels are made by Henry Taylor

Nads

Nads
Ashley Isles will be there. And Mike at Classic Hand Tools will probably have the L-N's. Don't forget the open day on the Saturday-there will be plenty of chisels to try out there :D
Philly :D

Nads":2j65hkl5 said:
Half of me says get the unpolished Kirschen 1101 set, but then I don’t really like the look of them.
Presumably it's the handles that put you off? I'm right with you there. But you could replace them, if that's the only problem.

So Philly, is that 'cos people will be bringing their own, or just what you have in the Tool Chest that is your workshop? :wink: Wouldn't mind seeing some of the Kirschens, I must admit - I damn those handles purely on looks and it's a bad habit.

Cheers, Alf

What’s special about the Saturday, unfortunately my turning club is going on the friday, I always seem to go on a different day to you guys…….oh well! That’s good maybe I might be able to see/play with a few chisels then before I make up my mind then? :wink:

Yeah it’s the handles that put me off the Kirschen 1101 set, its all that lacquer and tacky steel ring on the top…….I know they serve a function, but them handles are ugly! :(

Cheers

Nads

Nads":1yektw3l said:
Yeah it’s the handles that put me off the Kirschen 1101 set, its all that lacquer and tacky steel ring on the top…….I know they serve a function, but them handles are ugly! :(

Alice has shown the way - handles are wood, and wood can be worked...

With regard (side track) to modern saws, it would be very easy to buy an good saw with the usual handle with corners, and round it off.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psPro ... ,0,0,1|22|

Just rasp and sandpaper work, all the bulk work's already been done by the manufacturer.

BugBear

bugbear":20wbu5nr said:
With regard (side track) to modern saws, it would be very easy to buy an good saw with the usual handle with corners, and round it off.
Mike did that very thing last year, but alas, he must have taken down the pics.

Cheers, Alf

A casualty of site clean up.

This might be the comparison picture.

tenon_saws_0001b.jpg

The saw in other ways is just fine. The saw plate is thicker than it ought to be for the size. But it sharpens well and holds its sharpening long enough. I use it for deepening handle kerfs when I do certain thickness steel [.030"]. The set is one thou a side, refiled rip and so leaves a kerf of .032".

I added a new handle altogether for someone who bought the same saw and the steel was .032". So they do vary as to thickness.

Take care, Mike

Alf":2swy0fy7 said:
Mike, you're not helping... [-X :lol:
But I would if I could...and it is the thought that counts, right? :lol:

I've done two clinics like this. Sharpening and shaping. Tis a lot of fun. And keeps people who get their saws sharpened straight away engaged.

btw, How's the saw files at CHT??? I saw the blog. Have you checked today <g>...

Take care, Mike

Mike* tells me they're ordered, and if the tool gods are with me, should make it into his regular LN order due soonish. Just as long as he's taken note of the double extra slim aspect of the request. [-o< :lol:

But we're rather wandering away from the chisels here, aren't we? Pretty sure I can't walk into any kind of chisel demonstration trap... 8-[

Cheers, Alf

* Look, youse guys aren't very original, are you? :roll: Maybe I'll call you Henry instead, after that FTJ article :D

But we're rather wandering away from the chisels here, aren't we? Pretty sure I can't walk into any kind of chisel demonstration trap...
Nope. Leave the grinding, sharpening and otherwise fettling of the steel to another. It hard work.

Now, shaping handles for orphaned chisels...or reshaping handles of new, but uncomfy chisels? Seems to fit right into shaping of saw handles :wink: :lol:

Take care, Mike
who really better go into hiding now...

Alf
I can see that hole getting bigger and bigger :shock: :)
Its a real shame I cant be there to see it :twisted:

Heading for the door, forget the coat 8-[

Colin C":34wdvt62 said:
Alf
I can see that hole getting bigger and bigger :shock: :)
Its a real shame I cant be there to see it :twisted:

Heading for the door, forget the coat 8-[
Hi Colin--and then there's always Veritas LA spokeshave kits to make :lol:

Take care, Mike
really runnin...

Back