Quantcast

Vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

morpheus83uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a record vice on my workbench and its recently started making like a squealing noise. It only seems to happen when tightening but it doesnt matter if its tightening something or I am just winding it in. When winding it out it doesnt make a noise at all so I am wondering if anyone has any ideas what it could be?

I am guessing it needs some lubrication but i dont know what with.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

James

MikeG.

No longer posting.
Reaction score
Anything will do. WD40 is fine, 3 in 1 is fine. Olive oil or sunflower oil will do it at a pinch.

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
I can think of plenty of vices that social distancing make difficult, if not impossible.

But back to your particular vice.

A few month back my least used Record vice got squeaky and stiff, to the point of needing to do something about it. I wound it right out, cleaned and lubed the thread with a drop of oil, put it back. All looked well. No improvement. Then it got too stiff to use properly. Took it out again, had I bent one of the guide shafts? No, what can it be. Maybe need a new one. Put it back, then realised that the screws holding one of the wooden jaw liners had come a bit loose, the wood had slipped down a little and was binding on the thread bar. After a few weeks of grief, 15 seconds with a screwdriver, sorted.

"FOOL", I shouted, seeking out the nearest mirror.

Pete Maddex

Established Member
Reaction score
You haven't got your hand trapped in it have you? That would cause a squealing noise...

Pete