vice - suggestions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grafter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can anybody suggest a good vice 9" with quick release if possible (plain if really good price)- i understand that record are not what they used to be?
what are the brands to avoid/get?

don't really want to go down the ebay route due to postage costs and really just like new stuff.

thanks

I think an old record will be so much better than anything new. Even with the postage on ebay, they are still pretty cheap. I know a lot of people don't want to post them however i sent one via royal mail for £15.

grafter,

The new Record "Irwin" vices arn't up to much these days, or at least for the price they charge, the holes around the steel guide rods are very loose in my opinion and it gives alot of wobble to the font jaw when the vice is open. However Record vises do live on under the name Anant. Record sold there pattens to Anant and I have to say they are just as good and for some miraculous reason they are half the price of the record "Irwin" equivalents. There's a bit more info on the link below and a full list of other alternatives.
http://www.workbenchdesign.net/rvises.html

In the uk I think Rutlands sell the Anant vices under the Dakota brand http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools/wo ... king-vices
(or at least the picture shows Anant)

Still...you could always get an old Record off ebay, just check that the quick release works.

Hope this has been of some help.

Richard.

I've just fitted an old Record 52½E to my new workbench and I'm very happy, considered I payed only £25 for it on eBay. You could always offer to arrange your own courier, if they'll weigh the item for you... I've used parcel2go.com in the past and have experienced excellent service. Otherwise, it's really down to the luck of the draw in finding an auction within reasonable driving distance.

Looking at the Anant which Richard has linked to, I notice that these have vertically-adjustable metal dogs, which you won't find on an old Record (as far as I know?). This is a great idea, when combined with dog holes in your 'bench top, for work piece holding... With my vice though, I added a 2in. thick wooden facing and drilled some holes in th top edge to take 19mm dogs so, you can over come this. :)

Thanks for the link MR Maguire! What are the different types of vices which are listed there. I can work out the "front" vice - but what are the differences between a tail vice, end vice, shoulder vice?

Thanks

Miles

Grafter

Where are you??

I have a vice (buggered quick release) you can have if you collect.

Otherwise there is the "Corby alladins cave" if you are near there

Alcohol, easily available and legal.

Less easily available but equally legitimate I would go for Entonox (nitrous oxide and oxygen mixture, used in hospitals)

Aidan

TheTiddles":1konkxj1 said:

Less easily available but equally legitimate I would go for Entonox (nitrous oxide and oxygen mixture, used in hospitals)

Aidan
eh? :)

OPJ":jfxb4zio said:
Looking at the Anant which Richard has linked to, I notice that these have vertically-adjustable metal dogs, which you won't find on an old Record (as far as I know?).
Olly,

That is a Record idea, :D the D in the part number means with dog, they are just not that common, must of cost more so less to find second hand. :(

Well I thought it was obvious!

The york vices aren't bad from Axminster, a balancing screw on one side would help to make it mroe versatile when clamping on one side of the vice only

Aidan

Get yourself down to the local car boots.
I have two record 52 1/2 vices. Paid £5 each for them. Also have a MASSIVE Record metalworking vice for which I paid £1.
Various other vices, all old and good quality have passed through my workshop, all bought for less than £10.
Get there early, have an idea of what's a good price and if you have to haggle, don't start by saying "I absolutely have to have it. Will you take 50 pence?"!

I have got a Record 34 for sale, an old one. It is not a carpenters vice though. Look it up if you are interested. I nearly fell over when I saw the price they go for new! :shock: :shock:

PM me if interested. I think it must be 40 or 50 years old.

Neil

Right - thanks for all the replies - I took the plunge and purchased a vice off ebay. its a 9" plain screw paramo vice. all in £30 so not bad its in really good nick.

So thanks for the advice etc - looks much better made that the rutlands dakota one for £30.

So next stage is cleaning it up - any tips, I will wire brush and hammerite the front, should I oil or grease the threads? Anything else to do?

Will post a picture later
Thanks all

update so have got the vice home - the problem is when i open the vice the front does not move with it - is there meant to be some kind of nut/clip to keep the front part of the vice attached to the end of the bolt?
if so can you buy these anywhere?

Thanks[/img]

TheTiddles":252d74o3 said:

Aidan

lol - i was going to say fast cars, fast bikes , and fast women ;) but decided to be sensible for once.

Heres a picture of the problem:

sq4h3p.jpg

29lbktx.jpg

What do you all think?

Looks like there's a bit broken/missing - difficult to tell exactly what from the photo. I'd contact the seller and get your money back. Not sure what the status of Paramo is and whether they still exist and make vices - if not it will probably be difficult to get the necessary parts. There are plenty of second-hand vices about in good condition, so it's probably not worth bothering with that one.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back