Vice pads.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll guess that most members are familiar with these simple fitting but the idea may be useful to any newbies.
When using one end of a vice there is a tendency for the work piece to slip due to the taper effect.
These simple pieces of wood help solve that problem.

1607wjd.jpg

wqpmjd.jpg

5luq09.jpg

Roy.

Useful tip, Roy.......is this board tapered slightly, or do you have a multitude of thicknesses stored away somewhere?

I notice the grain of the outer jaw of your vice runs "north-south" rather than "east-west".........aren't you constantly on-edge waiting for a loud crack when you over-tighten the vice? :D

Mike

I have several of them Mike that I can put together to cover most of the sizes that I am likely to use.
The vice jaw lump was available so I was too tight not to use it! :lol:
I used to do the same Derek, but I got fed up with trying to hold the job in place with one hand, the packing piece with the other and tighten the vice as well, hence the dowel.

Roy.

I liked the variant Alf posted on this thread - originally from a tip in a magazine, but obviously now to be known under the Derek Cohen rule as Jake's anti-racking device (for a moment at least):

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ice#147747

I use this in my (slightly flawed, because it's a Record) tail vice - my face vice does not rack.

Back