Vibration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnicycleBloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

It's been a while since I touched the lathe, but I had a reasonably productive Saturday. One of the pieces was a 10" elm bowl with some spalting. It was rock hard and I couldn't get a decent finish at all. :-( It was unbalanced, too, but not as bad as some other blanks I've tried.

Anyway, the vibration caused my neighbour to come and complain. The lathe is a Tyme Avon. Not very heavy, and I'm interested in how best to secure it and damp vibrations. It has holes in the feet so I could bolt it to the floor, but I was wondering whether I should get some rubber dampers (wouldn't know what to get, though) carpet tiles, or whatever.
There is no shelf to pile weights onto.

Any advice appreciated.

Al

UnicycleBloke":2aj7uznc said:
Hello all,

It's been a while since I touched the lathe, but I had a reasonably productive Saturday. One of the pieces was a 10" elm bowl with some spalting. It was rock hard and I couldn't get a decent finish at all. :-( It was unbalanced, too, but not as bad as some other blanks I've tried.

Anyway, the vibration caused my neighbour to come and complain. The lathe is a Tyme Avon. Not very heavy, and I'm interested in how best to secure it and damp vibrations. It has holes in the feet so I could bolt it to the floor, but I was wondering whether I should get some rubber dampers (wouldn't know what to get, though) carpet tiles, or whatever.
There is no shelf to pile weights onto.

Any advice appreciated.

Al

You could put rubber dampers or carpet tiles or something underneath then make sure the hole is not blocked and bolt the lathe legs to the floor depends what type of bolt you want to use and if you want to move the lathe later on if staying you can use coach bolts if i am right in saying or there are many other ways of bolting it down depends on what to as well but go to your local hardware shop and they should give you a good idea and you should be able to pick up something for the dampening as well, rubber washer or something else.
Hope that helps in someway.
Thanks and all the best my friend.
Tim

Need to know a lot more about where your lathe is located in relation to the complainant.

1. Is it inside the House?
---- If so where and what type of floor/walls, wood/brick/concrete etc.
---- Is the property detached/semi/terraced. Wood framed/brick etc.
2. Is it in the Garage?
---- If so where and what type of floor/walls, wood/concrete etc.
---- Is it detached/semi/terraced.

How is the sound being transmitted that's causing the complaint.

1. via structural vibration through walls etc.
2. just general noise levels.

Need to determine whether you need to securely bolt it down to stop the machine 'ringing' , which will still allow noise transmission but at a different frequency or to aim at completely isolating it from its surroundings.

The type of subsoil can make a difference. Our houses are on rock chalk which seems to transmit vibrations and sounds (thumps etc) for quite considerable distances.

Rod

I was surprised he complained, too - it's been OK in the past.

I live in a semi. I have a brick garage/workshop on the opposite side of my house from the neighbour, which is where the lathe is. The lathe stands on a concrete floor. The more I think about it, the more unlikely it seems that he could hear the lathe. The chap over the road has been digging up his concrete yard with a kango - perhaps it was that. That piece of elm really did cause some vibration, and one of the feet might have been banging the floor and resonating. Didn't seem that bad to me.

Nonetheless I think I should bolt it to the floor and try for some damping.

Harbo":bjrr7na1 said:
The type of subsoil can make a difference. Our houses are on rock chalk which seems to transmit vibrations and sounds (thumps etc) for quite considerable distances.

Rod
Likewise with our village where most houses are sat on the underlying cotswold rock, despite good spacing, shock noises like chopping logs or vibration drilling can travel to unexpected places.

I would go with slower speed first, too.

Some semi's sit on one big, joint slab of concrete, especially if made in the 70s, I think.

I have always thought that the use of rubber, can save a lot of trouble....... :oops:

Latest posts

Back