very simple and nice episode about HVLP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I've watched that, very tempting. Screwfix sell it for £174. Not bad for a HVLP turbine. I don't know anything about spraying but this looks a good bet and a very good review.
Cheers

Hankering to give HVLP a go.

The Earlex has a 2 stage, 800W turbine, a little rustic and at 99dB is pretty damn noisy.

I like the look of what the guy here has done:
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=399793

3-stage 1400W turbine for £60 then box (+sound insulation), a filter, hose and then the rest of say a £200 budget (maybe about £100) on a pretty decent quality HVLP spray gun.

If you can get that sort of finish with car paint in a much lighter and more portable set-up than using a huge/heavy compressor then that has got to be good.

I think spray painting is a deceptive art. I've tried it and it's no where near as easy to get a good finish. Remember, digital camera's lie.

WiZeR":2r3ya10h said:
I think spray painting is a deceptive art. I've tried it and it's no where near as easy to get a good finish. Remember, digital camera's lie.

Not sure I agree with you there WiZeR. I bought one of the £50 B&Q HVLP kits and it worked pretty well straight out of the box. I had no previous spraying experience and and got good results with water based paints and acrylic lacquers. My wife wanted a paint finish on our kitchen units and I have done all the doors and drawer fronts with it. I used B&Qs own brand of water based primer/undercoat and top coat paint and topped that with Ronseal Diamind Hard floor varnish for a durable finish. I think it looks great and so far it has been durable. For me the best thing, apart from the simplicity of it, is the lack of overspray with the HVLP unit. I have a small compressor and spray gun and when I try the same finishes with it, the air is thick with a fog of paint, even with the pressure turned down as low as possible.

No disrespect but painting kitchen units and painting car panels are two different worlds.
Wizer is right, a rubbish paint job can look OK in a photograph or even pass a quick and distant viewing. A good job needs to be seen fairly close to be appreciated.

MDF_HAKA":1yq0rf2g said:
No disrespect but painting kitchen units and painting car panels are two different worlds.
Wizer is right, a rubbish paint job can look OK in a photograph or even pass a quick and distant viewing. A good job needs to be seen fairly close to be appreciated.

The post is in the General Woodworking forum and I gave my view in spray painting in that context. I'm sure you're right that painting car panels is a different world, but I stick to my view that in a woodworking context "it aint that difficult".

George_N":37auuxk3 said:
The post is in the General Woodworking forum and I gave my view in spray painting in that context. I'm sure you're right that painting car panels is a different world, but I stick to my view that in a woodworking context "it aint that difficult".

Sorry, you appeared to be saying Wizer was wrong (I don't recall him mentioning context) in stating that it wasn't as easy as it seems to get a good finish.
Even in a 'woodworking' context there will be difficult cases, probably as many as there are differing opinions on how to tackle them and what constitutes an acceptable level of finish.

Latest posts

Back