Very rounded edges to tables

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokerG

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been wondering how would you make a very rounded edge to a table?

Something similar to the table in the observation lounge in star trek the next generation.

For those that don't watch the show, imagine the surface of the table slowly bends back under itself over the space of about 6"'s. Is there an easy way to do it apart from by hand? If you were doing it by hand what tools would you use?

It's not for an immediate project just something I would like to build at some point in the future.

Gary

Thanks,

Is this the one?

tour-obslounge.jpg

observation01.jpg

Rob.

Thats the one...

Ignoring the center which is simple, how would you do the outside?

Looks like over the period of 6"'s the wood doubles under itself smoothly. Although for the show they may have made a simple mold and bent a veneer over it I would like to make something similar but out of solid hardwood. (Lot smaller I hasten to add)

Gary

This kind of thing may be done on a spindle moulder.

With a router table, the largest roundover that I can think of gives a gradual round over about 45mm?

If I were doing this in my workshop (I don't have a spindle moulder) I'd probably make various passes at the table saw to remove the rough shape of the roundover that I wanted, perhaps I could also use the router table a bit, and then finish off by hand with a plane or just power sanding down to the finish I was after.

Multi passes on the table saw followed by some cleanup was kinda what I was thinking as well. Didn't know about the spindle moulder though. I had been looking for a router bit that might do the trick but I think the stresses for a bit that large might be too much.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions,

Gary

Latest posts

Back