Vertical Wall Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I hadn't seen all the previous replies on page two.

Yeah you're ALL quite correct, lets put and end to all this. We are after all heading in the same direction and hopefully have similar interests and to that end should be an incredible source of knowledge that we can all share.

Sorry for prolonging the rant !

Jonboy

Smudger":ly1t73gt said:
Houtslager - this is none of my business, but I thought your first post was bloody rude.

Well I don't see it!
Seems a perfectly reasonable reply to me - it was just an answer that the OP was not wanting.
Houts has since qualified that he is competent to answer (despite the OPs assumptions).

lurker":3un6wmki said:
Smudger":3un6wmki said:
Houtslager - this is none of my business, but I thought your first post was bloody rude.

Well I don't see it!
Seems a perfectly reasonable reply to me - it was just an answer that the OP was not wanting.
Houts has since qualified that he is competent to answer (despite the OPs assumptions).
Agree with this.

Put your handbags down ladies and step away from the crochet needles. Let's get on with enjoying what Jonboy is going to post in the projects section having chopped up with his new toy.

;)

Jonboy":3329erl9 said:
but quantity of saws owned/used is not necessarily, in my view, any indication of 'mechanical appreciation or indeed the ability to sympathetically fine tune the saw to achieve it's maximum precision' . If you don't understand that statement then there's no point in me trying to explain !!

Surely the only way to appreciate the mechanics of a saw is to use it!

To draw a conclusion on the best make, you need to have used saws from the leading manufacturers.

Only then can you give a definite conclusion on which saw is best,(which is what hs has done) & with the experience gained from using them know what is needed to get the best out of a particular machine.

The argument was never about best or worst, good or bad. It was about understanding how to get the best from a saw or any machine come to that no matter how much it cost or what make it was. By that I don't mean 'just changing the blade, resetting a stop or altering the tension'. I mean 'tuning' a setting to the nearest 0.01mm or 10 seconds of a minute of a degree and it goes without saying, guaranteed repeatability.

"Quantity" only provides a relatively narrow experience with often a jaundiced opinion when it comes to usage, and generally speaking resulting in quite superficial conclusions i.e. convenience of use, ease of use, smoothness of operation, possibly influenced by digital read outs, safety locks outs, quiet running, good dust extraction and of course lots of lights and shiny bits ! Oh and not forgetting manufacturers 'after care '. I bought three Wadkin machines that had supposedly been looked after by 'Wadkin Care ' or whatever it's called. It took me a day per machine to set them up properly, to get them to do what I bought them to do. I came to the conclusion that the ' technicians' employed by Wadkin Care were doing a job because it paid their bills ! NOT because they enjoyed what they did and certainly not because of any job satisfaction through leaving a happy customer - they had NO PASSION for machinery, and that's what this is all about as far as I'm concerned. PASSION and getting outstanding results from a ' rubbish ' piece of machinery is what I get a real buzz from.

Amen.

Thanks for all the opinions guys. There's nothing wrong with healthy debate

The most frustrating think with lower quality machines is the fact that, yes they can usually be set up acccurately, but one knock from a board and its all out again.
Believe me I have a robland and have wasted hours tweaking it, after a while there is zero satisfaction.

wow - this is a lively one!!!

Jonboy - welcome to the forum

When I first read HS's reply I did think it was a bit erm slightly erm rude and not overly helpful, then I re-read what he was getting at and if you take the damhkit into the context of the rubbish statement, I think he was saying it was rubbish out of experience and frustration and not to offend anyone.

I have been looking at vertical panel saws for a while with a view to making a purchase quite soon and wondered how do they keep them so accurate. Anytime I see someone using one they can cut boards/sheets very quickly and whats seems to be pretty accurate.

I would be interested to hear how you typically go about aligning these things other than making them level off the floor and as always a picture of the 3.5k bargain you got would be nice.

Andy

I wish I had enough SPACE to fit a vertical saw (then I wouldn't fit one) - I can just about manage a fret saw!

:lol:

Yup...coat is on already....tra!

Jim

:D

Latest posts

Back