Vertical metal cutting benchtop band saw for hobby use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tochnia

Reaction score
Hello,

I have looked a lot but cannot find any offers for Vertical metal cutting benchtop band saw.
Only one which I found is FEMI 782XL and additional table, but it looks Femi table is not very stable or well made from reviews.
My workshop space is very limited so I need benchtop model.
So if anyone have seen any current model or older generations benchtop band saw please let me know of its model.

Thanks

I have a startrite volante which works really well- some of the challenge with being bench top will be space for the speed control pulleys

Portaband and swag table is the other option that lots use

Trouble with any benchtop machine is that it will be flimsy, and a metal bandsaw needs rigidity. I have a vintage porter-cable portaband and it's very handy instead of a hacksaw but I'm not sure how good it would be for cutting profiled shapes.

I picked up this beauty this week that will be getting the restoration treatment - a circa 1960s do-all bandsaw. Forgot to get a proper picture of it, I was too excited by the 50 ton overhead crane 🤣

20230206_084305.jpg

What will you be cutting?
I use mine mostly for tool steel and stainless steel up to 4mm thick so nothing that puts too much strain on it.
Here’s a pic for reference- the drive system is in the cabinet below so would need a bit of a rejig to bench mount it, but doable with a bit of tinkering. Footprint is very small but the three wheel design gives enough throat clearance.
FAABE010-7436-435F-AB64-0EEC18291E2F.jpeg

What will you be cutting?
I use mine mostly for tool steel and stainless steel up to 4mm thick so nothing that puts too much strain on it.
Here’s a pic for reference- the drive system is in the cabinet below so would need a bit of a rejig to bench mount it, but doable with a bit of tinkering. Footprint is very small but the three wheel design gives enough throat clearance.
View attachment 152939
Your Startrite Volante looks like really good fit and tool steel and stainless steel up to 4mm thick will suit me perfectly.
What blade are you using? It looks very thin in photo..
Also what is height of yours - part above cabinet?

It’s a 1/4inch 14/18 varitooth in m42

For thin stuff you don’t get any real benefit from a wider saw blade, and being a smaller saw it’s much easier to tension a narrower blade.

Not sure of height would guess just under a metre from cab

Trouble with any benchtop machine is that it will be flimsy, and a metal bandsaw needs rigidity. I have a vintage porter-cable portaband and it's very handy instead of a hacksaw but I'm not sure how good it would be for cutting profiled shapes.

I picked up this beauty this week that will be getting the restoration treatment - a circa 1960s do-all bandsaw. Forgot to get a proper picture of it, I was too excited by the 50 ton overhead crane 🤣

View attachment 152928

I'm sorry to go a bit offtopic but I can't help myself in saying that is just some kind of heavenly picture. The machinery the manly overhead crane, it just works! I'm afraid I can't be much of a help on the topic starter, I also thought about a benchtop beltsaw. But so far I think a standing one would suit be better but also in the same boat as room for it goes.
Interested in what you will end up buying.

Back