Veritas Surface Clamp - a review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
At last Saturday's MiniBash in Salisbury I was lucky enough to win the new Veritas Surface Clamp in a prize draw \:D/ This had been sent over and kindly donated by Rob Lee of Lee Valley, manufacturers of Veritas tools. I felt it was incumbent on me to publish a short review. I hasten to add that nobody has asked me to do a review and what follows is entirely my personal opinion of the product.

Here's the box

e921df58.jpg

And here's the clamp

e921df02.jpg

Also included are comprehensive instructions (a copy of which is available on the BriMarc website).

In a nutshell, I would describe the Veritas Surface Clamp as Lee Valley's version of the holdfast - a clamping device that's been around for years, the most common being the Record version, pictured below

e9128304.jpg

However, I think Lee Valley have managed to come up with some innovative improvements on this classic clamping device, which I will try to explain a little later.

As with all Veritas tools, the Surface Clamp is very well made. It is precision machined from brass, steel and anodised aluminium. It can be used anywhere you can drill a 3/4" diameter hole. In this way the Surface Clamp links in with many of the other Veritas clamping devices, such as their round dogs. I'm a keen user of these, as you can see

e9126520.jpg

(I'm a user, not a collector - honest :lol: )

How it fits in the hole is interesting and one of the key features of the clamp in my view. If you look at the components of the post you will see that there is a threaded rod which runs through the post. The end of the post has a 45 degree slope at its end. The removable end-piece of the post has a similar 45 degree slope on it

e9127f55.jpg

When the clamp is inserted in the hole and the brass knob tightened, this draws up the end-piece which slides outwards as the two 45 degree surfaces meet, thus gripping the sides of the hole

e912833c.jpg

The advantage of this is that the post is gripped firmly in the hole without causing damage to the bench, which is important if your bench top is made from a relatively soft material, such as MDF, as mine are. The clamp will lock in a blind hole 1 3/8" deep or a through hole in material as thin as 5/8".

The workpiece is gripped under the clamp like this

e9128328.jpg

The throat depth is 2 1/8" and the arm can accommodate material up to 3 3/4" thick. The arm grips the post via a couple of steel pins which engage in the slots of the post.

The most common use of the clamp will probably be to clamp work away from the edge of the bench, where a G cramp will not reach, like so

e9128313.jpg

I would envisage using the clamp frequently like this. For example, when cutting slots with a biscuit jointer I find that the most accurate way of doing it is to use the bench top as a reference point for the base of the biscuit jointer. The problem, however, is that you can normally clamp one end of the work piece with a G cramp but the other end of the workpiece causes a problem because a G cramp won't reach. With the Surface Clamp that problem is solved.

Of course, you are not restricted to using the Surface Clamp on the bench top. When planing long lengths of wood in the vice, you could use the Surface Clamp in a hole drilled in the bench leg to support the other end of the wood.

I compared the Surface Clamp to the Record holdfast and said that I thought the Veritas clamp had some improvements. The two main ones from my point of view are, first, the Record holdfast uses a metal collar which is fitted to the bench. I have one fitted to my original Mate Tools Workmate

e9128304.jpg

The problem with this is that the collar is not always in the right place and it's simply not practical (or cost effective) to have lots of metal collars all over your bench top. The Veritas Surface Clamp requires only a 3/4" diameter hole which means you can use it anywhere on your bench or on a makeshift bench top - for example a piece of MDF clamped to a Workmate when working away from the workshop.

With the Record holdfast the action of clamping the workpiece also locks the device in the metal collar. I find that these two things happening at once often causes the workpiece to be dragged along the worktop slightly. Often this will not matter, but sometimes it does. The Veritas clamp is locked in the hole before clamping the workpiece, so that prevents any movement of the workpiece.

In summary, I rate this as a cracking device. For me, I would envisage it becoming a standard workbench device in just the same way as my Record G cramps and Veritas bench dogs have become. It's so useful I can see myself buying another one very soon - I've had this one only a few days and already I'm using it :D

The Veritas Surface Clamp costs £42.50 including VAT and is available through Veritas dealers. Further information is available on the BriMarc website http://www.brimarc.com/home.php3?page=p ... pc=05G1901

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Good review Paul, but if you buy a second one that definitely makes you a collector :lol: - Rob

Thanks Paul.

Everyone I have shown it thinks it is great too. A client i showed it to wanted it straight away.

Please note we will not have stock for around 7 weeks as they are just leaving Canada by boat now. From then we will have good stocks.

Thanks

Martin

Paul Chapman":1j0dbm2d said:
How it fits in the hole is interesting and one of the key features of the clamp in my view. If you look at the components of the post you will see that there is a threaded rod which runs through the post. The end of the post has a 45 degree slope at its end. The removable end-piece of the post has a similar 45 degree slope on it

Cunning - maybe someone's a cyclist at Veritas!

Thanks for this excelent review Paul! This really helped me alot already to see the benefits!

Jake,

I've been trying to remember were I'd seen that sliding clampy thing before!!

Must look in some ditches for old bikes and see if i can run up a mongrel or three. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul Chapman":3sw7bgzb said:
Lord Nibbo":3sw7bgzb said:
You sold it to me Paul :lol:

Blimey :shock: :lol: Should look very nice on that lovely bench of yours :wink:

Paul

Not so lovely now, got a few chunks & dings on the top not to mention a few stains from splattered wood stain & blood :wink: So a few 3/4" holes here and there might be a distraction from the destruction :lol: :lol:

Good review Paul wish now I had put my name on all the papers for the draw :twisted: , I will get one.

newt":ib2uns81 said:
Good review Paul wish now I had put my name on all the papers for the draw :twisted: , I will get one.

If you'd like to have a closer look at it, I'll bring it with me next time I'm down in Salisbury :wink:

Paul

Thanks for the review, Paul.

I've also had my eyes open for a holdfast for some time now and this model seems to be a considerable improvement on the old Record models I used at college. Maybe I won't go for the cheap Axminster ones after all... :wink:

Yesterday a package arrived :lol: only a small one :cry: from Lee Valley :lol: Inside were,

05g1901s4.jpg

M0905.jpg
:lol:

Six days for delivery including the day it was ordered, excellent service award goes to Lee Valley. :lol:

Only problem is I cant get into my workshop :cry: Yesterday afternoon I noticed a damp patch in the utility room adjoining my workshop, on investigating I discovered a slow leak behind the sink unit, it was dripping quite fast and flooding under the vinyl floor covering :cry: Two hours later everything was moved out and filling my workshop :cry: The sink uinit cupboard will be ripped out today and the leak fixed :lol: So more expence for new unit and new vinyl :cry:

That was quick :shock: :D Hope you like it as much as I do.

Good luck with fixing the leak :wink:

Paul

If anyone can remember having a push bike and used to service or dismantle it, the clamping mechanism has been taken from the headset stem on some pushbikes which use exactly the same thing.
jon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back