Veritas Stone Pond

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Having difficulty using one of these and gut feel suggests it's a duff design but very willing to learn how to use it properly.

1) clamping the stone. The cam does an excellent job in pushing the stone sideways as you clamp it. End result ..a very loose stone.

2) this one is the real goodie IMO. I'm expected to balance a 3" wide stone on top of a narrow aluminium bar which is about 1/4" thick. So stability is a bit of a problem as in impossible to sharpen anything without holding the stone steady with one hand, holding the blade with the second hand and the honing jig with your third hand.

I must be doing something wrong.

Roger Hi

We have sold it successfully for many years. I will get on out on Monday and have a quick refresher and reply then.

If you don't see a reply straightaway, and need a swift response, please do call my colleague Dave Whiteside who I am sure can solve this.

Martin

Roger I have one and use it all the time with three stones. I don't have the problem with the sideways deflection though. When I install a stone on the ally bar, I bring the bendy piece of metal up close to the stone, push the stone back so it bends the metal piece, and the bring the cam clamp up tight, tighten the threaded bolt so it doesn't move and then action the clamp to compress the stone between it and the bendy metal piece at the other end - result is tightly clamped stone.

Now, for the second problem - you can't successfully use the stone on the thin strip - it wobbles too much. What I do is move the stone and the ally strip so it's sitting in the slots nearest the edge. I move the stone sideways (you may have to loosen the clamps) so it's now sitting on both the ally strip and the side of the stone pond itself. Hone away as much as you like, it aint moving anywhere! When storing, I just turn the stones upside down in the same positions. This also has an added advantage of given you more space between the stones so you don't bang the chisel handle on the opposing stone to the one you are doing the flattening on.

Hope that helps, if it's a load of carp i'll post some pictures so it makes more sense.

Roger Sinden":pljzw8vi said:
ByronBlack":pljzw8vi said:
What did you do in the end to cure your problems?
Exactly as you suggested!

Good good, always nice to know that i've managed to help someone! :)

Also for what it's worth I don't use the glass panel and the supplied lapping materials to flatten the stones, Instead i've bought a medium stone (1200 grit) and when I need to flatten either stone I just rub this against the stone that needs flattening after a few swipes the suction will till you when it's flat, then its back on with the sharpening - no need to get all messy with the lapping compound.

Back