Veritas plane kit build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're still ahead, Pete, but I'm slowly catching up. :)

Got enough time over the last few days to bed the stuffing in, rivet it, & do an initial clean-up of the sides.
Stuffed.jpg

This afternoon, I fitted the lever-cap, so the plane is all together at last:
All togther.jpg

Next job will be to lap the sole, then at last I can try a few tentative shavings....

Cheers,

Attachments

• All togther.jpg
    All togther.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 378
  • Stuffed.jpg
    Stuffed.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 378
Nowt like a bit of incentive!
Beautiful work from both.

This has turned into a knowledgeable and fascinating thread. Great stuff.
Thanks for sharing,
Chris.

Well, I found enough time to finish it more or less.

The sole had a small dip in the centre as shown by the first few strokes on 80 grit:
1st strokes.jpg

I've had this on several planes, presumably caused by all the bashing to close those dovetails, despite having it well-clamped to a close-fitting form.

Fortunately, it looked worse at that initial inspection than it was (probably <2 thou) and I soon had it cleaned up. Here it is after proceeding through 180 grit:
Almost done.jpg

By this stage, it's hard to resist having a quick test-drive:
First shavings.jpg

Got some nice fluffy shavings first up, which is always encouraging, so I went ahead & did a final clean-up of the metal & woodwork so it could pose for a portrait:
Done.jpg

I've still got a few things to fiddle with, the sole isn't quite to my satisfaction yet, and I need to take a bit more off the front of the cap-iron because it's sitting a little high, but it's useable as-is.
As always when I do a 'prototype', I made a few minor boo-boos. The most glaring one was using the "Spiers" side profile and over-stuffing it without realising that little 'wave' behind the main hump was going to cause complications. I had to pare that bit of the woodwork away so I could wriggle the stuffing in place. Next time (if there's ever a next time!), I'll be more careful with my design, or maybe just keep the woodwork inside the sides - it's a lot easier!
Total build time was probably about 4-5 days, but spread out over 8 months, so they don't happen quickly......

Cheers,
Ian

Attachments

• 1st strokes.jpg
    1st strokes.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 330
  • Almost done.jpg
    Almost done.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 330
  • First shavings.jpg
    First shavings.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 330
  • Done.jpg
    Done.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 330
When I started on Vers2 of my LV kit plane, one of my aims was to see how a handle would fit on a short (slightly less than 200mm) sole. It seems to have gone well, time will tell.

But I've come to really like the little rear-bun smoother I made a while ago:
RG smoother.jpg

& now the adjuster from the original kit was spare, so the idea of doing a Vers3, with a rear bun instrad of a handle, took hold.

Ideally, I would have liked to use a 1 1/2 inch blade, but the Veritas blade is 1 5/8", so I went with that & drew up templates for sides & sole. However, fate had other ideas. I was working on my new plane in fits & starts between doing other jobs, so perhaps it was inevitable that sooner or later there'd be a blunder:
2 Mistake.jpg

You'd think after 50 years of cutting dovetails I could avoid such a fundamental mistake! At first I thought there was no option but to start over, but with so much work already put into that sole, that was a rather bleak prospect. I decided it was fate taking a hand - a quick check of my dimensions indicated I could cut off all of the 'pins' on that side of the sole & still have enough room for a 1 1/2" blade, which is what I'd wanted in the first place. The blade I'm intending to use is O1, so I reckoned it would be a good deal less work to shave a bit off each side & bring it to the required width, than making a whole new sole.

So I pressed on, and the only other drama was the first attempt at fitting a front bun went very pear-shaped (which doesn't match the toe end of a coffin-shaped plane at all! :roll: ).
Eventually, the stuffing was in & riveted in place:
A4 Rivets peened.jpg

My initial concept for the woodwork included a small 'camel-hump' at the top of the blade bed, similar to the profile of Pete's plane above:
A8 cleaning up.jpg

But during the clean-up stage, I decided it didn't look right. I also discovered it interfered with full travel of the adjuster screw. So it was unceremoniously sawn off.

Cutting a bit off the blade turned out to be the easy bit. I clamped it between two bits of 3/16 steel bar, whacked off the slivers with a 1mm cutoff wheel in my angle-grinder. The blade itself didn't even get warm. A gentle touch on the side of my CBN wheel smoothed the cuts and it looked like a bought one - the whole operation took less than 10 minutes. I was very happy I'd made the decision to go that way.

With the sole partly lapped, I couldn't resist popping the blade in and making a few shavings:
First shavings.jpg

Two thou shavings right off - very promising! Another hour of sanding & polishing & it was ready for its portrait to b taken:
Vers3.jpg

So there you go - who would've thought a single kit could spin into 3 separate planes??
Vers2&3 b.jpg
Finished plane.jpg

But that's definitely it - my curiosity has been thoroughly satisfied, & all the kit parts are now gainfully employed, apart from the original thumb screw.

Hmmmm :wink:
Ian

Attachments

• RG smoother.jpg
    RG smoother.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 209
  • 2 Mistake.jpg
    2 Mistake.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 209
  • A4 Rivets peened.jpg
    A4 Rivets peened.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 209
  • A8 cleaning up.jpg
    A8 cleaning up.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 209
  • First shavings.jpg
    First shavings.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 209
  • Vers3.jpg
    Vers3.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Vers2&3 b.jpg
    Vers2&3 b.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 209
  • Finished plane.jpg
    Finished plane.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 209
A nice save resulted in a nice plane.

I must get making...

Pete

Yes, the mistake turned out to be a blessing, and the bruises from punching myself in the head will heal in another week or so...

Funny, I always thought of the Bailey #1 as just a toy or a curiosity, and the #2 as maybe a child's plane. The first rear-bun plane I made is pretty close to a #1 (similar length, blade 3mm wider) and this one is the same length as a #2, with a slightly narrower blade thanks to my blunder. But the first little plane has turned out to be a very handy little thing and earned a firm place in my plane cupboard. The second is a nice plane too, but probably too close to the first to get much use - it may have to find a good home somewhere else.

Go for it Pete, but be warned - making planes can take over your life. Gotta kick this habit, myself, at least for a while....
:D
Ian

Back