Veritas LA Jack Plane buy 38/50 degree blade?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonidentity

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, :)

I want to start with hardwoods so I plan to get an additional blade for my LA Jack.

So....which do I buy the 38 degree or 50 degree for general use?

At the moment I assume the 38 degree for general use and 50 if and when cross-directional grain woods. Is that right? I am not that sure :oops: but I know I can get help here :roll: :lol:

Thanks in advance

Hi non

When I received the LA Jack to test, it came with 3 blades, 25, 38 and 50. the 38 is by far the best of the three and I keep that one in 90% of the time. The 25 is also very useful but the 50 has been no better in use than the 38 and considerably harder to push.

I used it on Ash, Oak, Mahogany, Pine, Maple, Cedar - many of these hard quite curly grains

For most woods, the 38 is best

Now you have me worried.

The Jack on came with a single blade installed of course. Now I have ordered a 38 deg blade, assuming the blade is a 25 deg. How do I tell? I did not think it through.

Help. :oops:

Worry not, it comes with a 25° bevel iron. Sorry I missed this earlier; surprised it didn't get moved to Hand Tools. Anyway a big "Get It" for the 38° additional iron for an effective York (or 50°) pitch. I leave those in the B-Us 95% of the time (hardwood use). The 50° bevel (62° pitch) really comes into its own on the totally stinking woods - you'll know when you need it. If you're using softwoods primarily, rather than hardwoods, common pitch (45°) is perhaps a better choice, certainly more traditional - that's why all the Bailey-pattern metal planes use it.

Cheers, Alf

I have been intending to get a 38 deg iron for my LVLA Jack for some time.

However, the LV Bevel Up Smoothing plane is on my shopping list, which I believe comes with 38 deg iron as standard. I think that I read somewhere that the irons are interchanageable for these planes, so I could save myself £35 or so.

Is this correct?

Regards

Gary

Back