Veritas® Stainless-Steel Edge Plane – Limited Edition

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lord Nibbo":1fcx8d89 said:
Mirboo":1fcx8d89 said:
The Veritas 30th anniversary edge plane is now availalble for order.

Looks nice.

I wonder if they will come out with a left and right? like the black iron ones.

Nope... These are cast from the modified bronze edge plane tooling... won't be any more of either one, once they're out.

No lefts either - as we feel left-handers can "not use" a right-hand plane as easily as right-handers can "not use" it .... :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

(but we are doing a LH skew rebate...)

Rob Lee":2r6bdyf9 said:
Lord Nibbo":2r6bdyf9 said:
Mirboo":2r6bdyf9 said:
The Veritas 30th anniversary edge plane is now availalble for order.

Looks nice.

I wonder if they will come out with a left and right? like the black iron ones.

Nope... These are cast from the modified bronze edge plane tooling... won't be any more of either one, once they're out.

I thought casting stainless steel was "interesting" ?

BugBear

Mirboo":nyy9mi6o said:
The Veritas 30th anniversary edge plane is now available for order.
Looks nice.

Thanks Ian for that link - mine arrived today \:D/ 4,983km away in Cranleigh :cry: but I have to go to the UK next month so not too long to wait \:D/

Coming from an engineering background there was just something about the look of the plane that 'itched where I scratch', if you know what I mean. :wink:

Being cast from stainless steel does make it rather special and something that I will not only use but also keep to hand on to my son in the future - to go with his great great grandfathers screwdriver! And, a definite plus, it won't go rusty like most of my other tools.

I'll write a review when I finally take possession!

Steve :wink:

Rob Lee":33o38sdn said:
No lefts either - as we feel left-handers can "not use" a right-hand plane as easily as right-handers can "not use" it .... :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

A little confused here as to me the plane on the website is a left hander - i.e. to stand in front of the board shown, and grip the plane (finger in dip and palm on rear curve), one would have to use the left hand, not the right (without some special kind of wrist).

In fact, there si a left hand holding it lower down.

Tony":1sq8qkr3 said:
A little confused here as to me the plane on the website is a left hander - i.e. to stand in front of the board shown, and grip the plane (finger in dip and palm on rear curve), one would have to use the left hand, not the right (without some special kind of wrist).

It all depends on from which side you look at it. When pulling the plane towards you, pushing it away in front of you or using it sidewards.

Anyhow it would be nice to see a matching LH/RH for this one, it just looks a bit odd to have the nice stainless steel besides an iron one. (Or the bronze version that would look nicer but lacks the fine adjustment).

On the other hand that would cost another $199 :roll:

tnimble":2atvxo2u said:
(snip)

Actually, the LH model (in a run of 300) would cost at least $400, as we'd need need all new tooling and fixtures.... :shock:

Cheers -

Rob

The plane is a right-hander all right. Just remember that it is not used in the same way as a bench plane, i.e. standing behind the board. One stands to the side of the board, holds the body with the left hand and the "pommel" with the right hand.

I must say that the plane is quite stunning to look at, I had one at my plane orgy this past weekend (and we got to play with the plough too :wink:).

DC

Waiting for the gout medication to kick in

Rob Lee":q8bvbp14 said:
tnimble":q8bvbp14 said:
(snip)

Actually, the LH model (in a run of 300) would cost at least $400, as we'd need need all new tooling and fixtures.... :shock:

Cheers -

Rob

Based on making new tooling for a LH stainless steel version or based on replacing the tooling for the iron LH edge plane just before end of life and use them for a small batch of LH stainless steel planes?

engineer one":3d0pxdqz said:
yea rob, but think of the gloat power :twisted: :roll:

Huh, I got one already :)

4tapraq.jpg

Intuitively that really looks more like a right-hand tool. But it's just a matter of having a right-hand bench, the Special Special Edition above couldn't be used with the planks clamped to the bench "the usual way", otherwise you'd have to plane from the backside of the board.

For me it's just the same, I'm just as much a lefty as a righty. Most of the things are just as hard whichever hand I use :wink:

Pekka

tnimble":c5ddm3dy said:
(snip)

Based on making new tooling for a LH stainless steel version or based on replacing the tooling for the iron LH edge plane just before end of life and use them for a small batch of LH stainless steel planes?

Based on all new tooling.... the SS casting is done by a different plant than the ductile.... the LH iron tooling has only about.....oh....20 years of life left in it.... :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

Tony":2rzvp7n4 said:

I'm with you on this one Tony, I'm a left hander, I always hold the tote of a bench plane with my left hand. To hold this plane it will be natural to use my left hand to push and guide it with my right. LN and Stanleys #98 & #99 are named as left & right but as a left hander the right handed models as the manufacturer insist to call then are easier to use for a left hander :shock:

If you are pushing the ball of the plane with your left, and guiding the front with your right, you are going to have cross your right arm over in front of your left arm - is that what you mean?

Or do you mean you will run the other way up the board, and have the front guiding hand on the far side of the board?

Either way sounds wierd, but then I'm not left handed

Latest posts

Back