Veneers! Glues and processes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidJHolmes

Established Member
Reaction score
First time with veneer and I have a few questions. I've just bought some birds eye maple veneer for a project I'm working on. My intention is to glue it to some walnut and lightly carve into it for contrast, which will be finished in some clear osmo polyx.

What's the best way to glue this. I've read that some glue can bleed such as PVA but then read plenty of people using PVA without issue. What are peoples recommendations on glue?

I have a vacuum pump so I could get a vacuum bag, but is it really necessary? Is clamping straight forward and offer the same results? Anything I need to watch for?

I'm hoping the veneer is flat, I won't know until it arrives, so I may have more questions... :D (hammer)

Thanks

How big an area will you be veneering? If it's only small you can do it by clamping between boards possiboy with curved bearers top and bottom for slightly larger areas. Big panels may need a vacuum press. I use PVA or Titebond without too much trouble with bleed through. Here's a short article on basic veneering technique http://www.christribefurniturecourses.com/index.php/veneering-basics/

Chris

Mr T":2iln7w8y said:
How big an area will you be veneering? If it's only small you can do it by clamping between boards possiboy with curved bearers top and bottom for slightly larger areas. Big panels may need a vacuum press. I use PVA or Titebond without too much trouble with bleed through. Here's a short article on basic veneering technique http://www.christribefurniturecourses.com/index.php/veneering-basics/

Chris

Quite small. I'd probably aim to do 4" squares. Thanks for the link I'll have a read :D

DavidJHolmes":32jueqjx said:
Mr T":32jueqjx said:

Chris

Quite small. I'd probably aim to do 4" squares. Thanks for the link I'll have a read :D

you can clamp that, venner is a tricky monster to get to grips with but in tiny sizes like that you will be fine... you could even make yourself OR pick up a used book/flower type screw press for such things. i made a monster veneer screw press when i first started making drums from raw veneers (2foot wide by 8ft long) , but for a 4" square a used little desktop press would be ideal

giantbeat":phw7im4y said:
DavidJHolmes":phw7im4y said:
Mr T":phw7im4y said:

Chris

you can clamp that, venner is a tricky monster to get to grips with but in tiny sizes like that you will be fine... you could even make yourself OR pick up a used book/flower type screw press for such things. i made a monster veneer screw press when i first started making drums from raw veneers (2foot wide by 8ft long) , but for a 4" square a used little desktop press would be ideal

4" square you could do with a couple of boards and a "G" clamp.

Chris

Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll have some bigger pieces to do if these go well. Still only about 18"x6" though. Didn't think about a flower press device, I think that's easier option for me! Hopefully I'll have some photos up of what I'm doing over the next few weeks, just trying to get to grips with things.

Latest posts

Back