Veneering beginner question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noddy67

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to make a first attempt at veneering a panel for a desk. I've band sawn some thicker Ash veneer (2mm) as the desktop needs to be able to withstand a little more wear and tear than I think 0.6mm veneer would have provided.

I know that I need to veneer both sides to avoid the panel warping but do I need to veneer both sides with the same thickness veneer or can I get away with using thinner veneer on the hidden inside faces?

I'm asking as I'm running low on timber to cut my own.

Thanks

no, it needs to be of equal thickness, or one side will have a greater force on than the other.

It doesnt have to be the same species- so you can use a cheaper or lower quality one where it wont be seen.

+1 on Marcos' comment. It is amazing what force a sheet of veneer is capable of exerting, even if only the standard 0.6 mm thickness.

Noddy, given your question you couldn't have picked a better place to live! Pop down to the Munday Industrial Estate on Morley Road and find Timberline. Explain your dilemma to Bob or Hamish, you won't find two more helpful blokes, and they'll sort you out with an appropriate and economical board for your backing veneer (they sell a lot more than just Cuban Mahogany and Macassar Ebony!).

If you're fortunate enough to go on a day when Hamish is there you should bear in mind that you're actually talking to the finest furniture maker you'll probably ever meet face to face, and someone who can genuinely claim to be an authority on working with saw cut veneers. He's far too modest to blow his own trumpet, so suffice to say that when he was head craftsman in John Makepiece's workshop (yes, that's right) he did much of the pioneering development with saw cut veneers that led to Makepiece's best output.

So why seek help from an internet forum when you have a resource like that right on your doorstep?

Hi Custard. Very interesting reply. Thanks you.

I know Bob there having been popping in from time to time over the last few years. It is an Aladdin's cave. The equivalent of my kids going into their favourite sweet shop. Love the smell of the place.

I don't know Hamish. Is he the chap often working downstairs, slicing and packing the timber? There used to be an older chap working there but I haven't seen him in a while so I presume the new guy is Hamish.

I'll definitely go introduce myself to him next time I'm there. Do you happen to know whether he still makes furniture? Would be a crying if not shame from the sounds of his background.

Custard I just found his cabinet making website. Wow. If anything you undersold his skill level.

Seriously impressed.

Now if he just needs an apprentice...

noddy67":3e5iluje said:
Custard I just found his cabinet making website. Wow. If anything you undersold his skill level.

Seriously impressed.

Now if he just needs an apprentice...

I had a look at his site as well :shock: :shock:

Rosewood Tool Boxes,,,,,, Yeah right!
Thing of the most outstanding beauty more like, stunning.

Thanks to Custard for mentioning him :D

They might be the best looking tool boxes I've ever seen. Would love to have seen some photos of the insides withe the tools in them.

noddy67":3a1w7343 said:
They might be the best looking tool boxes I've ever seen. Would love to have seen some photos of the insides withe the tools in them.

Noddy you're not wrong.
Absolutely stunning.

Back