veining cuts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstn1234

Reaction score
As a newcomer to scrolling after retiring maybe I am trying to run before I can walk but I have been trying to cut inside veining cuts on a leaf. I have been using a pegas number 1 blade with a 1mm drill bit but cannot seem to do it without the drill hole being obvious. what size bit and blade should I be using as 1mm seems to be the one the blade fits through thanks for your time
bstn1234

thanks for the reply but these were very small cuts and I thought they would look better with a small I didn't think about the size of the hole and it makes sense that if you have a bigger blade it should cover the size of the drill bit and as 1mm bit was the smallest I have I had to use it I will give it a go with a number 3 as it is only a practice piece thanks again
bstn1234

Could you not ''lose'' a 1mm hole at the intersection of the centre vein and the branching veins?

it seem to show up when i use a number 1 blade i have thought of getting a smaller drill bit if I can get a chuck to hold one or I'm going to try it with a number 3 blade at the moment it's a bit trial and error with me but I am learning

Most drill chucks won't go below 1mm, including some that say they will. I use a Dremel chuck, which I made a mandrel for so I could use it in the pillar dill, and when I can't find it, I use a pin chuck. Both will easily grip a
0.5mm drill. If you have a Boyes store nearby, they sell cheap packets of small drills which are Ok for wood and plastic. I think I also bought the pin chucks at Boyes.

Trend also make pin chucks and I have one, like Martin said, it can be difficulkt getting a small drill bit into a normal pillar drill. Another way to over come your problem is to drill a series of really small holes along the line of the vein, say 4 or 5 and form a slot, it's a bit time consuming but you can use a really small drill bit for this.

I personally will use a 1mm drill bit and if this is a bit bigger than the vein I just make the vein the same size, even if it is slightly bigger than the vein on the pattern, at the end of the day it does not really matter, it would not be out of place and would still look perfectly natural. It is a problem with some patterns and obviously the person that designed them has not done so with the scroll sawer in mind when it comes to these tiny cuts. I often modify patterns, especially where there is a weak spot.

thanks for all your suggestions you have certainly come up with some ideas for me to try and I will be trying to get a chuck to hold a small bit i like the idea of making the veins a bit larger if the pattern allows thanks again

Latest posts

Back