Vaughan hammers weight.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomba26

Established Member
Reaction score
For a long time I have been using a 24oz Vaughan claw hammer, heavier than a lot seem to prefer but I like it. :D It is a traditional claw pattern.
Anyway it's just about on it's last legs and I noticed a local supplier selling a vaughan 22oz rip claw hammer today at a decent price so picked one up. The claw is straighter than my old hammer but what really surprised me was that despite it saying 22oz and my old hammer being a 24oz, the newer one felt heavier in the hand.
When I got home I actually weighed it on the kitchen scales and checked it :D and it's quite a bit heavier. Anyone else use vaughan hammers and found the rip claws to be so much heavier, despite what the hammer head says the weight is?

I have a 16oz vaughan steeleagle claw which i really like, I was going to buy a 19oz vaughan framing hammer to replace my old 20oz estwing, as it had a very good feel to it,.But i cant find one anymore since my local stockist closed down

Tomba

I'm intrigued by your comment that your hammer was on its last legs. You must have used it a heck of a lot! Do you mean that it needs a new handle? That's quite a simple job.
Or am I wrong in thinking of hammers as everlasting?

I think some American hammers are labelled with the weight of the entire hammer, whereas traditional british practice was to label the weight of the head.

If some American hammers for import to Britain start using the British convention (and some don't), it will be very hard to make sense of ANYTHING!

BugBear

Back