VAT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm getting fed up with getting catalogues and leaflets in the post showing prices excluding VAT. Had two just today Cromwell and ITS.

We all have to pay the VAT whether we can claim it back or not and invoices show the VAT element anyway.

They think it makes their prices look good - but only for a few seconds until you add 20% and then find their prices are not actually the best. I bin them and buy elsewhere who are more upfront.

I don't think that they do it simply to make the prices look good, they are targeting their core market- trade, who predominantly deal ex VAT.

What is frustrating, is catalogues that dont say on each page footer if prices are incl or excl. Sometimes It can take a while to find it in the terms.

Websites that have the option to show prices either way are really good.

Prices in advertisements, catalogues and price lists

Products advertised in outlets, magazines, on the internet, or shown in catalogues, price lists and other literature may be aimed at the consumer, businesses, or both. If they’re only meant for the general public, they’ll show you a price including VAT. This is a legal requirement.

If they’re aimed at both consumers and businesses, they will usually show a VAT inclusive price, but may also show a price without VAT. The VAT inclusive price must be given equal importance, but read carefully to make absolutely certain you understand what price you’ll pay.

Unfortunately the government guide lines do not seem to cover "trade only" catalogues, leaflets etc.

I used to have a supplier who dictated what I should sell his products for.

He supplied the price lists, one showing my cost price and one showing the retail price.

He looked good until I realised he showed my cost less vat and the retail price including vat.

artie":27lypogc said:
I used to have a supplier who dictated what I should sell his products for.

He supplied the price lists, one showing my cost price and one showing the retail price.

He looked good until I realised he showed my cost less vat and the retail price including vat.

thats standard practice for any trade price list aimed at the retail sector

It's all as clear as mud :roll:

For example, the Distance Selling Regulations were swallowed up by the Consumer Contracts Regulations in 2014.

And just a few weeks ago (1st Oct 2015), the Consumer Rights Act came into force.

Which replaces three rather significant pieces of consumer legislation:

1) The Sale of Goods Act

2) Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations

3) The Supply of Goods and Services Act

Cromwell is pretty expensive to non trade.
We use them at work and the price of pretty much everything in their catalogue is far less than that quoted.
Unfortunately our finance folks are very strict so I can't use their discounts

Back