Varvill dovetailed skew mouth 'improved' mitre plane help!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penwithchris

Reaction score
I have just acquired a quite rare (I've never seen one) dovetailed 'improved' pattern skew mouth mitre plane by Varvill and Sons of Ebor Works, York with original iron by Marples
Unfortunately the previous owner has stained the rosewood infill and drilled screw holes front and back(no idea why)
So my questions are, if someone would care to help,
1. How to remove or tone down the staining on the infill?
2. What's best to do about the drilled holes? Could or should the plane be 'cut down' for example?

I've owned, and foolishly sold on, a standard pattern mitre plane by Varvill (stamped on the bridge) with beech infill, but I'd like to hold on to this find

Perhaps you could also give me an opinion regarding who might actually have made the plane with Varvill's output being predominantly wooden planes

Thanks - Chris :roll:

Attachments

• Varvill1.JPG
    Varvill1.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,369
  • Varvill2.JPG
    Varvill2.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,369
  • Varvill3.JPG
    Varvill3.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 1,369
  • Varvill4.JPG
    Varvill4.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,369
Wow some people have crazy ideas. I think the best way to repair the holes is with rivets you should be ably to get a good match.

Pete

Looks to me like its been mounted upside down to plane small parts (like putting a plane in a vice), hence the 4 countersunk screw holes. If it works as it is y go to the bother of tying to fix it??? unless of course you plan to sell it to a collector in which case its not all original so this would affect its value.
I would leave as is and enjoy it for what it is.

Matt

undergroundhunter":4n8ikhxj said:
Looks to me like its been mounted upside down to plane small parts (like putting a plane in a vice), hence the 4 countersunk screw holes.

Good thought. The only other option I have it that it was inset and screwed to a board to provide a large (possible longer) sole for shooting.

So the board could be (say) 3/4" thick, with a hole for the body of the plane, and recesses for the heel and toe. Screw the plane in place, plane the board dead flush, large mitre plane.

I freely admit it's no better than your suggestion, it's just a plausible alternative.

BugBear

If you give it to me I'll get rid of the holes for you.....

There's this Irish fellow I know...lives at the bottom of the garden...gets rid of most things...

And of course...I WILL send it back to you ....promise!!! :mrgreen:

Seriously...leave it as it is and use it with happy thoughts of its previous life.

Jimi

Thanks for all the suggestions

On reflection I think I'll leave it as is. There was probably a sensible purpose in drilling the holes at each end

A friend pointed out that the throat of the plane bore the stamped initials 'H & D' which match those of Holtzapffel and Deyerlein shown in the book cataloging the David Russell collection

Presumably this London maker supplied Varvill and Sons in York with the plane

Boy...if it is H&D it is what it looks like...a quality plane from a seriously good maker.

I simply love it.

If you ever want to part with it let me know! :mrgreen:

Jimi

Hi Jimi
It was exciting to have the H & D stamp pointed out to me by a sharper eyed acquaintance - he went on to have a look at known examples of mitre planes by Holzapffel but couldn't find a match
The body of my plane is only 9.5 long
I'm pleased you like it as much as I do. I am inclined to enjoy ownership of planes for a while and then have my arm twisted by an enthusiast sufficiently to part, so I might well get back in touch with you in the future
No idea of it's financial value - 'how long is a piece of string?' I guess
Thanks
Chris

penwithchris":2jq68wvw said:
Hi Jimi
It was exciting to have the H & D stamp pointed out to me by a sharper eyed acquaintance - he went on to have a look at known examples of mitre planes by Holzapffel but couldn't find a match
The body of my plane is only 9.5 long
I'm pleased you like it as much as I do. I am inclined to enjoy ownership of planes for a while and then have my arm twisted by an enthusiast sufficiently to part, so I might well get back in touch with you in the future
No idea of it's financial value - 'how long is a piece of string?' I guess
Thanks
Chris

Please do...give you time to measure the string! :wink:

Jimi

Back