Old Infill Mitre Plane - Say HELLO to Harry...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
I have for some time been in awe of craftsmen planemakers and none more so that the very early ones.

To me the "sardine tin" mitre shape is a vintage classic but alas...much sought after and usually expensive.

So it was with great glee that a non-descript one which had been rather overzealously cleaned appeared on FleaBay at the same time I happened on some birthday geld!

So...say hello to "Harry".....

20140409_114059.jpg

This is the holder for the "Shaw & Co." iron I am having a bit of difficulty tracking down...other than that...there are no legible markings on the body.

Clearly, it is quite old...probably from the earlier part of the 19thC and ideal for flattening marquetry. I don't intend to get into a debate about marquetry/mitres and the primary use of these planes...suffice to say I call it an infill mitre as is the norm.

The infills are in wonderful condition and given the state of some of these planes...the patina might have been removed but thankfully not too badly....

20140409_103241.jpg

I love the old steel bridges with the very plain half moon curve and reciprocal wedge cutout.

The very dainty scroll of the wedge compliments this beautifully.

Mouth damage is minimal and to be expected after a couple of hundred years but is restricted to the trailing edge...

20140409_103124.jpg

The leading edge is absolutely pristine and rather tight...optimum in fact!

The front infill is stunning. Inside the throat is an attractive curve leading down to the mouth...

20140409_103346.jpg

....this is probably my most favourite part of this plane.

The iron has seen a few year's use...was relatively flat on the face...nothing I couldn't deal with...and once sharpened...performs amazingly well...

2014-04-10%2019.08.43.jpg

I still have about another hour's work on the iron to get it like a razor but on the end grain that I tried...it worked fine.

2014-04-10%2019.07.19.jpg

The sides and sole are perfectly square and the dovetails and T&G mouth are so well made they are almost invisible...I had a real time trying believing that was how it was made but magnification confirmed it.

2014-04-10%2019.10.21.jpg

2014-04-10%2019.10.34.jpg

I think this is likely to be quite a user...certainly up there with the good ones!

2014-04-10%2019.07.48.jpg

If any of our resident experts know a bit more about this example...the age..etc...I would be most gratefully received!

20140409_110501.jpg

ALFIE was most impressed!!!

Cheers

Jimi & ALFIE!

Well, I was about to comment on your other thread and tell you to stop teasing and post some photos ... and now I see what a thoroughly nice specimen you have found!

I'm a bit jealous, but glad to see that it's in safe hands and that you aren't spending all your time with your head in the skies, unless the whole observatory project was just an elaborate cover for your ebay habit...

If you make it to Richard Arnold's do in June, I suggest you bring it along - there should be some proper plane experts there!

Hi Andy

Yes..Harry is a user rather than a collector's piece and while he's in my care will be used...which is why I like it...I don't feel worried about using it.

I will certainly be at Richard's do if I can...Douglas and I are planning to travel up from Kent and I will bring Harry along...perhaps with a few other new additions to my arsenal.

The observatory is all but finished so I can now relax a bit and intend to tidy up the workshop after the devastation of "site work"...get rid of all the bits of softwood and plasterboard which seems to have taken over...sell a few of the bigger machines I no longer use and start making tools again.

Harry will play a significant role in this plan for the summer.

Cheers

Jimi

I'm tempted to suspect the infills aren't original - the condition is just too good.

Bear in mind, given the age of the plane, they could, for example, have been replaced (nicely) in 1920, at which time the plane would have been around a century old, and the infills would still have 90 years of patina today.

BugBear

bugbear":11u3spfm said:
I'm tempted to suspect the infills aren't original - the condition is just too good.

Bear in mind, given the age of the plane, they could, for example, have been replaced (nicely) in 1920, at which time the plane would have been around a century old, and the infills would still have 90 years of patina today.

BugBear

That's a distinct possibility BB...although if so..this guy was a craftsman too!

They certainly fit perfectly.

I said there were no other markings but on the bed infill there is an obliterated mark....

2014-04-09%2013.22.22.jpg

I think I see the surname "RUSSELL" to the right...but I will be doing some work in Photoshop to see if I can bring out the individual marks and try to get some of the overstamping out of the way.

Jimi

Oooo ... what's going on at the front - is that a steel partition piece that the infill hangs over? If so, I'm sure that the screw in the front is easily enough to hold the infill (no through rivets?) and it could be semi easily removed/put back. Is there a screw in the back?

I'm assuming it's Rosewood - hard to tell under all that history but Rosewood does have that oiliness that still looks good after a century or three, so very difficult to tell if they are replacements or not. Of course, there's no way of telling how much of the Iron is gone. Mitre irons vary enormously in length when new. I made my round topped one to protrude about 3 - 1/2" out of the back for comfort/palm resting but I think that this was a later trend but I also made a longer, sloping scroll - also for comfort and also a later trend. Henry's is a short, round older type so if it is a replacement, who ever did it copied the original. :?

So I reckon that a) it's the original iron that may or may not have had a lot of use, b) that the infills could have been replaced and c) they might not have been. Hope this helps :)

We will definitely be at Richard A's do to have a closer look.

Hi Richard

If you mean to the back of the front infill then no...it's all wood...it has a flat then it curves underneath and down towards the mouth where it joins a forward facing internal slope of the front sole......

This might show it clearer....

2014-04-09%2013.59.31.jpg

It is extremely elegant and looks from the patina inside (the patina that can't be got at thankfully!) that this infill is original to the steel.

But you are right...it needs to be seen in the flesh. It's Rio, I'm sure of that much. The back of the wedge is polished by use over the years and bears that distinctive rosewood sheen that other woods just don't have. I thought it might have been stained mahogany at first but there are distinctive black flashes through the wood that say otherwise.

The iron has about 1" or so of hardened laminate left so I think I will need to plan to replace it...oooo....um...about 2090 or so. :mrgreen:

All too often these things have a thick woodie taper job replacement by Ward or Sorby but this looks original.

It's vital that we find the maker of this iron...I think this is the key to a lot of the history.

Jimi

jimi43":1n4m1me4 said:
I have for some time been in awe of craftsmen planemakers and none more so that the very early ones.

To me the "sardine tin" mitre shape is a vintage classic but alas...much sought after and usually expensive.

So it was with great glee that a non-descript one which had been rather overzealously cleaned appeared on FleaBay at the same time I happened on some birthday geld!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-very-early- ... 7675.l2557

Good jobs the photos were OK - the description is minimal, to say the least.

BugBear

bugbear":1d4esb8k said:
jimi43":1d4esb8k said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-very-early- ... 7675.l2557

Good jobs the photos were OK - the description is minimal, to say the least.

BugBear

Spot on BB!!

Now everyone knows I didn't pawn the family silver to get him!

Harriet...the seller...was a lovely lady...packed him up in about an acre of bubble wrap...iron and wedge packed separately and received in 20 hours!!!

Hence...he is named "Harry" in her honour!

Jimi

Mr_P":3cgyjxql said:
Well done your patience has definitely paid off

David Stanley £320 (Greater Manchester quality).
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/aucti ... t-21513034

but bet your kicking yourself for not waiting a bit longer :shock:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-1-16-long- ... 1322073884

Hi Carl

Yes...I think I got a bargain there.

I continued to tweek the iron today and I have to say...that is one sweet piece of hand welded laminated steel!

It's getting even sharper than I have seen before and I'm not done yet..

The "SPEIR" plane in the second link....mmmm...not sure about this long lost son in the colonies theory...but you never can tell with these old families.

To me it looks like some owner has put that on there...the font is the same as the owner stamp on the wood...and also the wedge looks like it doesnt match the bridge...no cupids bow which I'm sure would have been the norm.

But....I'm very new to these older ones so it could be kosher and worth half a grand...

Me....I prefer Henry...he just feels "right".

Cheers

Jimi

jimi43":2su7kfcv said:
Me....I prefer Henry...he just feels "right".

Cheers

Jimi

Henry?????? Who the hell is Henry? I thought his name was Harry :?:

Back