Vacuum Veneer Press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all
The hand pump in Garnets post looks to me exactly like the Vac U Vin unit for resealing bottles of wine even down to the rubber stopper with a sealable split in it.
Am i right?
martin

Steve Maskery":2v9qafju said:
(Snip)Can't understand why they make them 4ft wide. A standard 4ft sheet won't fit into a 4ft bag, will it?
Steve

Steve When we worked on some large (flat) sheets. We had a flat table (10ftX5ft) in an Autoclave covered with formica equivalent. The parts were laid on this and a single sheet of plastic placed over the top using double sided tape around the edges. Dependant on temperatures required we used anything from standard 1200g polythene to more exotic plastics, this way we did not have the problem of warping or misalignment whilst trying to get them in bags. The suction pipe was fitted in one corner of the table and we used coarse fibreglass weave in the adjacent area to facilitate air removal.

Actually it is the same hand pump and valve as the Vacu Vin product sold I know at least in Canada. I have one. I thought the wine pump was exclusive to Canada and besides don't you UK guys ....always... drink the whole bottle of wine. No need for a wine saver in the UK.

I think it is a great idea using an existing product and adapting it for a different purpose. It is not something I would have thought about as a vacuum source. Must have thought it up after a bottle or two. I think there is also an article about it in last months woodcraft magazine.

Here at Alf Towers we use a Vacu Vin all the time... :whistle: There was a good tip on The Porch a while ago to use it for preserving wood finishes. Of course first you have to provide some bottles to put the finish in... \:D/ :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Same problem here taffy, we bout one for our half bottles and it never even came out the box

Might give it a whirl now though ;)

Signal

I have just read this thread and felt the need to add that the bagpress electric system can exert 8.5 tons per square meter within the bag.

Neil":2hscbni3 said:
.......I think I'll have a good read of the instructions for the homemade version from Scrit's link.
My past has come back to haunt me yet again! :oops: I've since found that using nylon awning/tarpaulin/sail eyelets (the two-part screw-together type) rather than bicycycle-tyre style stem shown on the JoeWoodworker (and boy, there's a site that has grown) means that I can use standard compressed air/vacuum fittings throughout. These eyelets can be had from camping, tent, tarpaulin and some marine chandlery places. All you need to do is drill out the middle and retap for the BSP threads used on compressed air/vacuum stuff. I've also experimented with an old compressor off a fridge (which had already been drained of CFCs) and found that it could draw 1.5 to 2 cfm - so possibly a useful cheap source of vacuum pumps.

ike":2hscbni3 said:
The problem using a vacuum cleaner is that they rely on airflow to cool the motor. I think they might overheat/burn out using them as a vacuum pump - no?
I think I'd agree with that, although the high volumes they can shift makes them ideal for the initial evacuation of the press bag prior to using the vacuum pump proper. As Sgian Dubh says the biggest problem is not building to vacuum fast enough. Initial evacuation with a vacuum cleaner helps overcome that problem as does proper sizing of the bag (i.e. make/use the smallest bag you can). The cheapest bags I've ever used were clear polythene builders rubble sacks sold by the local builders merchants at 35p a pop. They're not very big and they won't form well around really complex or deep shapes like good quality vinyl will but they'll do for small pieces and at that price you can afford to bin 'em if you damage them. For the really flexible stuff, though, you need to go to silicone rubber bags - and they really can cost, although they have the advantage that they can be used in conjunction with low-voltage heating elements in the form to speed-up throughput....

Scrit

Steve Maskery wrote:
buy a good bag kit.
Agree here all the way. I use an Air Press with a 6 x 4' bag which now effortlessly takes care of all my veneering and laminating processes - definitely worth the dosh - Rob

I thought I posted this yesterday but either it has dissapeared or it was a senior moment(most likely). I came across this a while back about using a fridge compressor as a vacuum pump. Looks interesting.

John

woodbloke":23wtoyqd said:
Steve Maskery wrote:
buy a good bag kit.
Agree here all the way. I use an Air Press with a 6 x 4' bag which now effortlessly takes care of all my veneering and laminating processes - definitely worth the dosh - Rob

The best bags to use are the Bagpress PU (poly urethane) bags as they are much tougher, more flexible and do not get stiff in the cold,the AP system uses a vynal bag and has none of the above advantages to it.

Johnboy":3ozxfzu4 said:
I thought I posted this yesterday but either it has dissapeared or it was a senior moment(most likely). I came across this a while back about using a fridge compressor as a vacuum pump. Looks interesting.

John

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very innovative but not a dedicated system for the job hence its flow rate, evacuation speed etc. all come into play which would probably be well below the required pressing needs and also a fridge motor is not designed to keep running under pressure to keep the bag evacuated (a bit similar like vacuum cleaners) so you are getting that 8.5 tons atmospheric pressure within the bag hence on the Health and safety aspect seems a bit risky imo.

Brother, are you afilliated with Bagpress in some way?

I ask because every post you have made has referred to and advocated Bagpress products in some way.

If so, it would be polite if you could let us know. Then we know where you are coming from.

Jake":2yd9u7hw said:
Brother, are you afilliated with Bagpress in some way?

I ask because every post you have made has referred to and advocated Bagpress products in some way.

If so, it would be polite if you could let us know. Then we know where you are coming from.

My apologies, i took it for granted that members would have looked at my profile and figured that i am afilliated with Bagpress.

Even so i am only trying to pass on my knowledge and not make sales hence why i have no advertising on my signature etc.

brother":1p32urzk said:
My apologies, i took it for granted that members would have looked at my profile and figured that i am afilliated with Bagpress.

I did, to find all posts by you before posting the above.

And I just have again, and I see it now has some more details - good!

Even so i am only trying to pass on my knowledge and not make sales hence why i have no advertising on my signature etc.

That's fine, as long as we know.

Latest posts

Back