Vacuum Pump

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunggaur

Established Member
Reaction score
hi folks sorry to ask this but i have had a read through lots of info here and on other sites and i am more confused that when i started.

so i was hoping some could give me some advice or point me in the right direction

i have a very limited budget as i had to give up work due to ill health so i think i will have to build the system my self as i simply cannot afford to buy a kit.

questions:

1) What size vacuum do pumps need to be able to pull to make a suitable vacuum for veneering

2) If i go for a electric pump whats the cheapest type i can get away with

3) Do i have to use an electric pump or are there suitable hand pumps that are a cheaper option to start

4) where can i get fittings from for which ever system i go for

5) can i build me own bags if so which sort of material do i need and where can i get it from

very sorry if this has already been answered on the site

many many thanks

jon

The "vacuum film" type bags work out quite cheap. They are a cotinuous tube and you buy it by the meter and just tape up one end and use a temp seal on the other to form a bag. Not as durable as a thick vinyl bag but you should get at least 10-15 vacs out of them.

http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/c ... -film.aspx

They also do breather fabric at only a few £ a meter. Their bag fittings may be a bit costly, have a look at Bagpress I think theirs are less.

Pump size depends on what size items you want to veneer, a box will need a smaller pump than a dining table.

J

I have been told that old fridge compressors can make good pumps.

They do, and we've used one successfully at work. It was actually a brand new pump removed from a fridge that we had to cut the back out of for filming purposes, but any working one will do, you can also adapt a vacuum advance from an older type car to make an on/off switch. I found out how to use the pump and make the switch from a website ages ago, I'm sure you can still find the info if you Google it.

The "vacuum film" type bags work out quite cheap.

We used thick polythene sheet and used double sided tape to make it up into a bag.

Back