Vacuum frame press membrane ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to build my own vacuum frame press and whilst I can easily source the material for the frame I am struggling to find a source for the membrane ?

Thanks

I have just looked at airpress and I can see they refer to the membrane as "High Strength Silicone Rubber membrane". So I will give the company you mention a call tomorrow.

HDPE is what you ideally want, however, any plastic sheet will do it, the clear stuff they sell in garden centres will work just fine

Aidan

But will it have the same stretch characteristics as the latex membrane will. That stuff has 600% elongation.

woodbloke":1wtsb718 said:
I've seen rubber pond liner used successfuly in a vacuum press - Rob

Where I'm currently working we have two MASSIVE purpose-made industrial presses. And the membrane is...........

Just pond liner! - The presses are in constant use 24 hours a day sometimes, doing a bond every hour.

And no I don't have shares in a pond lining company :D

Granted that I am behind the times, but having both built and used vac formers could one of you enlighten me as to the purpose of the membrane?

Roy.

Digit":361d76us said:
Granted that I am behind the times, but having both built and used vac formers could one of you enlighten me as to the purpose of the membrane?

Roy.
The membrane is basically the bag. Nothing more complex than that

joiner_sim":1spovalw said:
woodbloke":1spovalw said:

Where I'm currently working we have two MASSIVE purpose-made industrial presses. And the membrane is...........

Just pond liner! - The presses are in constant use 24 hours a day sometimes, doing a bond every hour.

Just found this via google and it is very cheap. I have found out that epdm has elongation of 350%. So plenty of stretch

joiner_sim":1oey1ag6 said:
woodbloke":1oey1ag6 said:

Any chance you can find out what thickness liner it is ?

Pond liner is EPDM rubber but almost any rubber will do, there is no need to go to the high cost of silicone.
Thickness could be 2 or 3mm and hardness (measured in Shore A) should be 40-50 although 60 will do.
Avoid so called commercial sheeting, used for gaskets as this will tear easily. Go for a natural rubber often called para which in 2 or 3mm and 40 Shore will make an excellent membrane and not break the bank.

Find your local gasket cutter and ask for para or if stuck email me, we stock it at my works.

Modernist":3wkjeyfy said:
Pond liner is EPDM rubber but almost any rubber will do, there is no need to go to the high cost of silicone.
Thickness could be 2 or 3mm and hardness (measured in Shore A) should be 40-50 although 60 will do.
Avoid so called commercial sheeting, used for gaskets as this will tear easily. Go for a natural rubber often called para which in 2 or 3mm and 40 Shore will make an excellent membrane and not break the bank.
Thanks Brian. You seem to be well up on this stuff. Do you know of a good source for 2mm para 40 shore ?

As it happens I run a rubber engineering business. I am going to the exhibition at Cheltenham tomorrow but will post some suitable material on here when I get back and can supply by post.

I notice you are in Dorset. Try Vulcanising South West at Saltash and I think 3mm para would be best. Again, if you are stuck pm me.

Hi. Did you ever make your membrane frame press? If so would you mind posting a few pics and letting me know how it worked out for you. Many thanks

noddy67":1mhhtqja said:
Hi. Did you ever make your membrane frame press? If so would you mind posting a few pics and letting me know how it worked out for you. Many thanks
Hi. No, I didn't make the press, but am now reconsidering it!

Just rereading these useful posts from 4 years ago. How time flies!

Back