using german elec items on uk mains ???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catface

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've got a german made radio designed to plug into 220v / 50hz.
I want to run this on uk mains (which is normally described as 240v / 50hz).
Do I need to arrange a step down transformer (or similar) between the uk mains supply & the radio ?
The radio is an EKD316 (general coverage comms receiver, power input 220v/50Hz and 50 watts).

Any advice appreciated.
Catface

It'll work. I regularly use UK equipment in France and French equipment in the UK, no problems.
If only the UK would ditch those hideous 13 amp plugs and sockets!

But France uses radial mains rather than ring mains do they not Dick?

Roy.

'Cos that's why we have to use those hideous 13amp plugs.

Roy.

New Wiring in the UK should now be radial.

Nothing to do with voltage and frequency.

Harmonised voltage across the EU is 230v +- 10%. Hence all CE marked tools 240v or 220v have to operate within this range. So your German tools are OK to use.

New Wiring in the UK should now be radial.
The regs have always permitted radial mains, but there ain't no fuse in the French two pin plug! Not a good idea on a ring main is it? :lol:

Roy.

Both ring and radial have advantages/disadvantages over each other. The problem isn't the one or the other, rather it's the two pin plug!
Consider this as an example, you buy a small detail sander over here and it will come fitted with a three pin fused plug and a two amp fuse.
Take it with you to France and replace the plug with the two pin unit. Your sander is now 'protected' against overloads by, probably, a twenty amp circuit breaker! Not good

Roy.

Dick,
Have you found a source for plugs in France that direct the cable down parallel to the wall instead of at right angles or at best 45 degrees?

Appliances with moulded plugs and extension leads etc come with a nice plug but the only ones I can find that you wire up yourself are cheap and ugly.

cheers

Andy

No I haven't. The 3-pin ones are horrible, and end up with cable jutting out. And yet some of the moulded ones are quite attractive!

That one that has three male pins - three phase? Two phase has two pins and a female earth. I mis-spoke earlier!
The other sort, where the cable enters at an angle, I can get almost anywhere, but I think the question was about plugs where the cable runs parallel to the wall, as in the moulded-on types.

I was going on this?

dedee":14yx5763 said:
Dick,
Have you found a source for plugs in France that direct the cable down parallel to the wall instead of at right angles or at best 45 degrees?

Smudger":14yx5763 said:
That one that has three male pins - three phase? Two phase has two pins and a female earth.I mis-spoke earlier!

I'm not sure what you mean. The one on the first page of the list is two pole with a male earth but the second page has "standard" French monophase rated at 16A.

The link times out so it means searching for "fiche electrique" from the homepage . There are other (and better?) suppliers.

John, thanks for your help but what I am searching for is a version of this type of plug that I can wire myself.

DSCN6275.jpg

This is what comes with most new appliances.

A search for "fiche electrique" at Leyroy Merlin and elsewhere just brings up variants of this or this both of which throw the cable out at an ungainly angle and look hideous and feel cheaply made.

Thanks

Andy

Andy

If you search from the Welcome page on "fiche électrique"

You will get a list with "fiche électrique - 45 produits".

If you click on that then go to the page 2 about half way down there 's a number of them.

I understood that they were what you wanted.

Apologies if I'm mistaken

:lol: Nice one, Steve.

The Leroy Merlin ones are the same type. Your link has LeGrand which is a good mark .

Unfortunately LM's website doesn't like you posting links, hence having to do it the long way round.

I've always been happy with Legrand electrical stuff which I assume is readily available in France. If it isn't, I can recommend a couple of good quincailleries in Cameroon and Togo - rather a long way to go for a couple of plugs :lol:

Steve

Back