USB Wireless Endoscope

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shultzy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an issue with the drain by my garage. I've tried putting a hose down but its not solved the problem, slow water release. Anybody bought one of these endoscopes. I've been looking on Amazon and although the reviews show many happy customers the 1star reviews seem really bad. I need one with a semi-rigid cable to go around the gully trap.

Not bought one myself but I know someone who bought a cheap one last year and I tried it. I was not impressed. The picture was so bad I would say it was unusable.

Hi Shultzy
I can't comment on the USB ones but I've had one of the standard cameras for a long time, a " Rigid Seesnake ", it only has a flexi length of 900mm but it's excellent quality with decent camera and screen. I used it to see inside partition walls and under floorboards for wires and pipes before cutting but it's surprising how often its' used to search for things in inaccessible places. Never used it in a drain gully though.

Might be useful if you fancy a sideline offering private colonoscopy services. :wink: :lol:

I give my drain gulley a blast with a pressure washer at least once a year, same in the manholes just to keep them clear. Have you tried those cheap drain spiral thingys meant for kitchen sinks? I'm sure the one I have ( never used and in a drawer somewhere ) only cost a quid from Asda or Tesco.

cheers
Bob

I bought one a few weeks ago and while I haven't had to use it yet,the image was ok when connected to a netbook.That is connected by a cable-the thread refers to wireless endoscopes and I have no idea how they might work without a wire.

Hi worn thumbs, A cable connecting endoscopes would be fine, which one have you got?

Hi Lons, 900mm is too short, I need one that's at least 2m.

Hi MattRoberts, that seem to be the most common complaint as well as connection problems. I just don't know how the "many" who say they are great can be right?

Shultzy":2349bqpm said:
Hi Lons, 900mm is too short, I need one that's at least 2m.
You can buy extensions Shultzy but the good endoscopes aren't cheap. have you checked out the cost of hiring one?

Shultzy":10rm5us9 said:
Lons, it's about £50 a day to hire one, and buying one could be useful for other viewings.
Makes sense, I'm always looking for an excuse, oops I mean valid reason, to buy a new tool :lol:

An obvious question Shultzy so appologies in advance but you have cleaned all the rubbish out of the gully haven't you? Not a nice job but a vinyl glove helps and if you can pinch a soup ladle out of the kitchen without being caught it's not so bad, as long as you don't put it back, :shock: Another method that works if you have a manhole within reasonable reach is to push drain rods back towards the gully of if you don't have those use a hose without the fitting with the water on full.

Before I touched the gully further I'd be lifting the first manhole in the line anyway as the blockage could be further down the system than you think.

I have a cheap usb one. I think it was about £10 delivered. It's pretty rubbish, but it does see use. I used it last month for checking in some stud wall for cable routing. I've used it for drain work. I've used it to check hard to access car engine fittings.

But it is pretty poor. Depth of vision is rubbish. Awkward to use. Etc.etc. But, as I say, for the jobs where I use it, maybe every 6 months or so, it is valuable.

I have a cheap one, just a camera with very short focal length on a cable with a small LED ring round it, it works ok, the picture is acceptable about an inch in front of the thing, after that, down a dark hole there isn't enough light to see, if you turn the brightness of the lights up it swamps out close in. I've used it a few times, did a cavity inspection with it recently that identified the need for new wall ties and that the lower foot of wall was filled with sand (now sorted). also used it when I dropped a stainless wash down the exhaust of the bike having just refitted the whole thing, I was so happy to have it then. I have it attached to my cable puller, which allows some degree of control, I've been thinking of making something a bit dexterous.

this is what I saw when using it for the latter (I just happen to have taken pictures for someone else)

IMG_20170621_223759_961.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170621_223759_961.jpg
    IMG_20170621_223759_961.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 432
You'll never guess what I do for a living..... although it's usually on 3-11m diameter sewers, with large crawler cameras.
https://www.mtscleansing.co.uk/cctv-surveying-unit

Might be worth checking to see if your garage drain is part of a shared connection, since that is most likely your water company's (South Staffs Water?) responsibility and they can send out a proper contractor with a small-diameter Combi rig to CCTV and back-jet out any issues.

Perhaps a bit more info is needed. The gully pot is between two properties and drains the flat roofs of the garages. It goes straight to the sewer in the road. The gully pot was replaced when we had the drive block paved. It works until it rains heavily when the gully pot fills up. If I fill the gully pot up with a bucket it takes about 1 min to drain away. I just need to check what sort of blockage it could be.

novocaine, which system do you have?

sorry to say that I can't link to the one I bought, mainly because apparently I bought it in 2012.

it was a cheap, Chinese, 2 metre unit from ebay, I'm guessing not much has changed in the past 6 years. cost me 15 quid then.

now I need to find a scope that explains where the past 6 years have gone.

Shultzy":3fl168a3 said:
I just need to check what sort of blockage it could be.
I could list numerous 'could be' blockages.
Most likely gravel, leaves and dirt, a misconnection or even material(s) used during the block paving.
It's also not certain that the gully is the point of blockage - A build-up in the main surface water sewer that backs up is quite possible.
However, the cost of a camera system is only the first part. There's then the cost of the solution on top.

Could be cheaper calling a retail contractor like DynoRod, especially if it requires a back-jetter, or is something difficult like cement (usually needs a flail to remove).
However, if there's any possibility that it's the main, your water company is the better bet. They should also advise (for free) whether this is a shared connection or not.

I agree with Tasky - try your water company. They will come and assess whether it is their asset. If it is, it is their responsibility to clear it. If it is not, provided it is the first call out, they will normally spend up to 30mins or so trying to rectify.

I won't say how I know this, but I was part of the project team implementing the Private Sewers and Lateral Drains (google that term for all the details) legislation within Thames Water. (Yes Tasky, I spent a fair bit of time working with Crusty's guys :D )

Chris

clanger":19qecvjx said:
I agree with Tasky - try your water company. They will come and assess whether it is their asset. If it is, it is their responsibility to clear it. If it is not, provided it is the first call out, they will normally spend up to 30mins or so trying to rectify.
Unless it's a Highways Authority asset, in which case they may still sort it and recharge the work, or they might have to refer you to the HA.

Back