Urgent advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lons":28snkv63 said:
Hi Mike

When you go into the bios screen does it ask you for an administrator password? If there is one set then it usually shows a "locked" icon somewhere on the screen. If it isn't password protected (and it really shouldn't be imo) then it lookes as though you might have a virus which has written over your boot sector or reset the bios to stop you changing the boot sequence. If it asks for a password, try typing 000000.

Your recovery files on the partition will probably be named "erecovery" and default pass is 000000

On some machines it's possible to get to a boot sequence dos screen by holding down then repeatedly pressing th "0" (zero) key. AS YOU POWER UP.

The only way I know to safely clear the bios is to unplug from mains, remove battery and then take out the cmos battery from the motherboard for say 30 seconds and then should be able to access and reset to default.

We have an Acer aspire one netbook which isn't the same as yours but will look when I get a chance.

Bob

Hi Bob,

What it does show is Supervisor Password is: SET, and further down it shows Set Supervisor Password (Enter), but I have been blocked from getting to it. Is this the password it asks for when the computer immediately boots (before you get to your account password), you cannot get into the bios without entering this password first?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Bob,
What it does show is Supervisor Password is: SET, and further down it shows Set Supervisor Password (Enter), but I have been blocked from getting to it. Is this the password it asks for when the computer immediately boots (before you get to your account password), you cannot get into the bios without entering this password first Cheers Mike

In a word - yes!

Bit difficult without it in front of me Mike but it seems that for whatever reason, either corrupted files or virus has caused the system to crash which normally you could address by booting into safe mode, opening boot menue (F12) and/or changing bios settings. You can't do this without the administrator password it asks for which must have been set by the system supplier or yourself. Doesn't sound to me as if a virus has corrupted your bios.

There are programs which can decipher existing passwords though I have never used one and I think you would need to take out the hard drive (very simple) and attach it to another pc to install the software.
If the pc is fairly new, it's worth contacting the supplier and insisting they give you the password but I'd have a go at the cmos battery if it's within easy reach. If you google the make and model you should be able to locate a likely motherboard layout which would help.

Doubt that's of much help unfortunately, will see if I can find out.

Bob

Lons":12faxxn4 said:
Hi Bob,
What it does show is Supervisor Password is: SET, and further down it shows Set Supervisor Password (Enter), but I have been blocked from getting to it. Is this the password it asks for when the computer immediately boots (before you get to your account password), you cannot get into the bios without entering this password first Cheers Mike

In a word - yes!

Bit difficult without it in front of me Mike but it seems that for whatever reason, either corrupted files or virus has caused the system to crash which normally you could address by booting into safe mode, opening boot menue (F12) and/or changing bios settings. You can't do this without the administrator password it asks for which must have been set by the system supplier or yourself. Doesn't sound to me as if a virus has corrupted your bios.

There are programs which can decipher existing passwords though I have never used one and I think you would need to take out the hard drive (very simple) and attach it to another pc to install the software.
If the pc is fairly new, it's worth contacting the supplier and insisting they give you the password but I'd have a go at the cmos battery if it's within easy reach. If you google the make and model you should be able to locate a likely motherboard layout which would help.

Doubt that's of much help unfortunately, will see if I can find out.

Bob

Thanks Bob, but the bloody thing went ?even before I had a chance to remove the cover. When I say went I mean when I turned it on to get you the info you asked for it stayed on for a while and then just died and will not turn on again, no lights, no nothing, so after removing the hard drive (so no one else can pick it up at the tip) I binned it.

I will just have to get another one. Except for Apple which I have spent most of the evening reading about them, have you got any recommendations? That's not to say I am not thinking about an Apple, it's just trying to justify the cost. I know that I am going to regret this, but to Apple lovers, what is so much better about them over the PC?

Cheers

Mike

Shame you binned it Mike. For the sake of some postage I, (or perhaps another member) might have been able to sort it for you. In any event broken laptops still fetch surprisingly good amoun
ts on ebay as spares or repair even without the HDD.

I'm happy with PCs as I'm well used to them and though tempted to try an apple, just can't justify the expence. We have 2 Toshibas at home as well as the little acer netbook (must sell that), and perfectly happy with them but my nect will be an i5 or pref i7 processor. Most of the leading makes are ok as despite what the salemen tell you, the majority of component come out of the same factories. Spares and drivers for these are easily available and well suported.
Don't touch makes like Gateway with a bargepole would be my only advice.

Bob

If you are buying a new one, avoid windows 8 like a plague. It's dire in the extreme. ( I have used windows since windows 3 and run a computer repair business). Shame you ditched, £40 minimum go to the tip, more if all you stripped was HDD. F8 to get to safe mode would not have been affected by any BIOS password, nor Ctrl + F10 to enter recovery mode.

Phil

Sheptonphil":2f243ae5 said:
If you are buying a new one, avoid windows 8 like a plague. It's dire in the extreme. ( I have used windows since windows 3 and run a computer repair business).

Windows 8 is different - designed with touch screens in mind and using it with a mouse can be a steep learning curve. One of the new touch tablet computers amy be worth considering.

The thing is it has two different faces - the new tiled interface and also the ordinary normal desktop but with features missing (like the 'start' button in the bottom left corner of the screen). In fact it is all there but hidden/switched off which has led to several modifications being made freely available. I use Classic Shell ( http://www.classicshell.net/ ) which lets me configure my computer in the way I want.

Misterfish

Mike.C":1flqv7gk said:
[...... to Apple lovers, what is so much better about them over the PC?

Cheers

Mike

They work. You can pretty much forget about viruses etc. Total Cost of Ownership is much better than a PC. Lots of free software that is seamlessly integrated with each other and the OS.

I know of no-one who regrets having moved from a PC to a Mac.

I know quite a few people who regret migrating from a Mac to a PC.

But it's horses for courses. There are those who love their PC's. They will say that they are cheaper than the Mac....but usually (a) they are not comparing like-with-like and (b) ignore how much time, effort and energy you expend mucking about with a PC during its lifetime.....which, by the way, is usually much shorter than that of a Mac. When Microsoft bring out new versions of their operating system, it's usually a trigger to go out and buy a new PC. When Apple brings out a new OS, often it runs faster on the same hardware than the preceding version. That is the beauty of having one company that manages both hardware and software.

There will also be those who like Linux. Perfectly good OS. But it does need work to get up and running (at least not as straight out of the box that a Mac is).

EDIT: And don't forget the Refurb Store, Mike. Lots of Mac bargains to be had there from time to time.

Latest posts

Back