Upholstery Foam.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo60

Established Member
Reaction score
I made a small footstool frame and my wife is doing to upholster it but looking for the foam on e-bay, Amazon it is very expensive 550 X 350 X 100 is over £20. That's more than the wood cost. Anyone know of a supplier?

That does seem expensive, we have an old guy in town but I very much doubt if he posts anything, also I hope you don’t mind me saying but 100 mm seems a bit thick, it can feel very much nicer if you use a 50mm base layer of quite dense reconstituted chip foam with a 20mm softer one on the top. Ian

Postage will be the killer cost there but upholstery foam is almost always overpriced wherever you buy it.

That does seem expensive, we have an old guy in town but I very much doubt if he posts anything, also I hope you don’t mind me saying but 100 mm seems a bit thick, it can feel very much nicer if you use a 50mm base layer of quite dense reconstituted chip foam with a 20mm softer one on the top. Ian
Thanks for that tip Ian. My wife has recovered quite a few chairs etc, but never a new piece. I'll pass that on. From years ago I seem to remember market stalls selling it? Might try that

Yes, upholstery foam always seems very expensive for what it is. I tried to find a cheap supplier for a sofa, in the end some one local could take the cushions away, measure fit and return for less than I could buy the foam online.
Maybe see if there’s a local small company, they may have an offcut
Aidan

One of my projects is some modular outdoor seating. I can make the frames pretty reasonably, but then the cushions are abhorrently expensive. Looked at buying foam and making covers, but the foam was still stupidly expensive, couldn’t find a cheap solution. IKEA was about my best option.

Tongue in cheek slightly but every week there are at least two sofas for free on gumtree. I could collect the foam, break the frames for wood/firewood and take the rest to the dump.

fitz.

I was recommended Foam cut to size, complete cushions, refilling service, mattresses from a thread on here. I've not used them yet, but shall be in the next week or two.

I ditched Amazon - even though it was a bit cheaper, it turns out there's quite a bit to upholstery. I was going to simply slap on the fabric over the top of some foam and call it done. The type of foam matters, the way it's cut (edges) matters and it's best to have some form of cover that sits between the foam and the outer material to stop it wearing and breaking down.

I've not done this yet but I'll share a finished photo of my stool build in a few weeks time, hopefully the foam goes well - it's the bit I am fearing for it's my first time.

I used to get through sheets and sheets of this building custom seats for TV/Film/Events. Before Covid and all. You can usually get decent high density stuff on eBay at about £60 for an 80" x 94" sheet (2") I almost certainly have some laying about if you want to drop
me a PM.

I was recommended Foam cut to size, complete cushions, refilling service, mattresses from a thread on here. I've not used them yet, but shall be in the next week or two.

I ditched Amazon - even though it was a bit cheaper, it turns out there's quite a bit to upholstery. I was going to simply slap on the fabric over the top of some foam and call it done. The type of foam matters, the way it's cut (edges) matters and it's best to have some form of cover that sits between the foam and the outer material to stop it wearing and breaking down.

I've not done this yet but I'll share a finished photo of my stool build in a few weeks time, hopefully the foam goes well - it's the bit I am fearing for it's my first time.
thanks. Looks as if they know what they are talking about

Back