Upgrading the lathe motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
OK I now have the new 3 phase motor and all the kit to upgrade my lathe to a variable speed, reversable jobbie, BUT! When I unpacked the motor I found that the shaft is 2" long! The single phase motor that came out has a shaft that is 3 1/8" long! The new motor that I have has the now normal standard shaft length. Even if I were to return it that would cost a small fortune!

So what I am asking is, does anyone know of a place that I can get an extention made that will extend a 5/8" shaft for a max of another 2"? I have to look around here and I think that I know of an engineering place that can do it, but if anyone knows of an 'off the shelf' place then I would be internally greatfull (no, that ain't a smelling mastike 'cause I nevur make em)...

Several members (incl. me) have metal lathes that could help if you get desperate but distance makes things awkward as access to the motor shaft would be ideal for best fit.

You say 5/8" (not 16mm?) It needs to be a good push/interference fit to run true and a couple of thou can make all the difference.

I take it it's something like this that's required.
smDSC02317.JPG

Does the shaft need to be extended? During my conversations with people about upgrading my graduate the point that the metric motors have shorter shafts was mentioned but it didn't seem to be an issue that the pulley would overhang (I think 40mm was mentioned however I will check if you want)....

Miles

It's definatly a 5/8" shaft Chas. The lathe is about 14 years old now and I don't think Record had gone metrified then? I have compaired it whit the shaft on the 3 phase and that definatly is 5/8". If I can't get anything done this end to get an extender made what sort of price would it be for you to make one Chas? The postage wouldn't be more than fiver me-thinks..

Ad, the pulley has an overhang on the original motor. The shaft goes about 3/4 through the pulle. With the new motor the pulley would sit at the very end of the shaft, just touching it. Not even enough to hold it there if I let it go! :shock: :shock:

Just shout your dimensions re length etc. and mailing address via PM John.

Does your motor shaft have flat or any sort of keyway?

Do you have room to move motor back 5-10mm to allow for the step down interface of the extension--you say pulley just locates on new shaft--.I'm thinking the extension may throw it over too far.

Thank you Chas. PM sent. I forgot to say that I can drill and tap a hole for a securing grub screw

Shame we don't still live in Stroud because I would be just a few minutes away along Butterow Lane!! :D :D

What ever happened to Ernies Woodchester turning place up the top of Toadsmore, any idea? It was a shock to see that it had gone when we went back for my sons wedding a few years back. I used to get loads of blanks from there at £15 a big sack on a Saturday morning!! I got some lovely stuff from there..

Haven't a clue what happend to Ernies, several locals mentioned him but never made contact myself, will have to probe some of the older locals to see if I can find out.
Time passes so quickly we are becoming some of the longest established around here.
PM recd.

just reading your problem here, and am curious. If it is a record lathe, can you also slide the pulley on the main shaft as well ?, as this may help. There will be 2 grub screws on the shaft, remove the top one compleately, but only loosen the bottom one slightly, as it locks into a flute, cut in the shaft. If you are standing in front of the lathe, slide the pulley nearest you, towards the motor end of the housing, this may then line up with the pulley on the motor with the shorter shaft, and may just solve your problem. Hope this helps.

regards

stan

Thanks for the try Stan, but I have tried moving the head stock pulley and although the pulley will sit on the shaft, but the grub screw is still not on the shaft unfortunately.

Shame about Earnies. He was always very good to me. I remember one day I got a sack full of lovely elm blanks. When he looks in the bag he gave me a huge grin and said that I had really excelled and theree was more than £15s worth in there and asked if £20. I said that I was going to offer that anyway!! A couple of those blanks were marked as £18 + VAT!

This was one

Elmbowl.jpg

And another

DSC07506.jpg

Both 10" diameter...

Earnies lack of profits had nothing to do with his business demise I presume :lol: :lol:
Watch out for snail mail next week.

If I remember correctly when we drove past where he was they were building something else there so I can't see him being out of pocket. I would have loved to have been there when he was clearing out! I would have probably needed my trailer!!

Don't you mean La Poste escargot? :D :D :D I'll keep a keen eye out mate and once again thank you!!

Chas, the bit arrived yesterday, but it only just fits :D :D Even the thread for the grub screws is correct!

I don't care what anyone else says I think that you are a gentleman. Please have a pint or 2 on me! Thank you very much :D :D

All I need now is the programming setup for the converter and it can go onto the lathe..

Jonzjob":xvuxbku3 said:
but it only just fits,
Oh dear, I'll have to modify my QA methods to make sure everything is a few thou. out next time. :p
Jonzjob":xvuxbku3 said:
Even the thread for the grub screws is correct!
Only if you try and fit 5mm screws :lol:

I think the grub screws were 1/4" Whit, but I have a very big alan key :roll: :roll:

Don't worry too much about the fit, I just used a bigger hammer! 8)

Cheers mate, there's a cuppa here any time you are down this way, cuppa what is the question though? Lovely part of the world for a holiday!!

Wow!! Ok, no prizes for guessing who's got a 3 phase, variable speed, reversable lathe now! I finally got it going and set up this afternoon. Now all I have to do is the tyding up jobs like nailing the converter to the wall and the remote switch box to the lathe frame. That extention is the dogs danglies Chas, ta so very much! :eek:ccasion5: :eek:ccasion5: :eek:ccasion5: :eek:ccasion5:

I haven't had time to take any photos of it all yet. That will wait till tomorrow.. 8) 8)

That babelfish translation gave us both a giggle!!

The normal way of saying you are welcome is 'de rein', 'je vous en prie' or for family and close friends 'je t'en prie', but only if it is one person.

But thank you anyway, or 'mille fois merci'

Well, you started it and I struggle writing it! :oops: :oops: If the French wrote what they said it would be far more simple!!!

The wine's good though and after a few glasses the langwige becomz moor simpel :duno: [-o< [-o< [-o<

Not babel fish, might have been a better bet though, that's my memory trying to go back some 55 yrs. never did get the hang of sensible conversation the only things that stuck were just tenses by rote, and something along the lines of:

J'suis dans la class, la classe est dans l'école, l'école est dans le village
:lol:

I seem to remember words to do with food, wine and the word merde for some reason. And I am only going back 45 years :lol:

Pete

Back