Unseizing cast iron wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wildman":gcegcvn0 said:
soak in vinegar for a few days. be sure to rince well afterwards
Yeah that would have done the trick, would have took quite alot of vinegar to completely submerg them ;)

Coley

RossJarvis":3gwyyczm said:
Strangely enough we had the same issue a month or two back. One of the Romanian guys soaked it in water for an hour or two, it worked, go figure?
How bizarre,and to think we drink that stuff ! :lol:

Coley

AndyT":2spto07e said:
I reckon the best answer for those is electrolysis. It will remove the rust and probably free them up as well. You need a plastic bucket, an old battery charger, some iron and some washing soda. There are loads of YT videos showing how.

Yes, that's what I'd try first.

ColeyS1":4w7diwr2 said:
Does anybody have any tips for unseizing cast iron wheels ? I've been after some for a while and managed to get some cheap, thing is there seized.
I have used Shield Technology's RESTORE to remove rust from a number of different old tools. For small items I put them in an ultrasonic bath and let that run for a few minutes then left them for a week. After washing off the Restore and a stiff brushing, they were usable again.

MC

bugbear":24al7p1w said:
ColeyS1":24al7p1w said:
RossJarvis":24al7p1w said:
Strangely enough we had the same issue a month or two back. One of the Romanian guys soaked it in water for an hour or two, it worked, go figure?
How bizarre,and to think we drink that stuff ! :lol:

Coley

Good info on the 'net;

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

BugBear

That ruins the old rhyme "I had a friend named charley, I have that friend no more, for what he thought was DiHydrogen Monoxide was DiHydrogen Sulpher Quadroxide" It really does lose it's rhythm. :?

Back